IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Does your character fit your personality?, well?
Dive
post Apr 25 2003, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

Do the character(s) you play reflect your own personality and style?

I play a Fomar mainly because I can be either a tech heavy nuker, or a subtle damage dealer. I think this dichotomy reflects on my own tastes and disposition. I like to think that I am multi faceted with a different path choice available at any time. The Fomar excels in a few areas while not being outstanding in one particualar. I like to have the option to be successful in a multitude of situations.

Is this too deep? beigelaugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Henge
post Apr 25 2003, 09:20 PM
Post #2

OpSec

Member No.: 2

i'd say claymore fits my personality quite well.

he's the best at what he does, (melee, trapping) and ignores other options. i can also relate to the menacing visage of the hucast evilking.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Shojin_*
post Apr 30 2003, 09:05 AM
Post #3

Guests

I think My Humar does... Swift at attacking up close, yet still can hold off from afar

Hes quite and somewhat invisible to others at times. Just like me shades.gif

+Quote Post
Layrinn
post Apr 30 2003, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Grand Armor

Group: Associates
Member No.: 15

Well let's see... do I cavort around in booty shorts killing monsters with my awesome melee and magical prowess?

Uh... no. I don't know the first thing about any kind of martial arts or magic. I could probably be a decent marksman if I practiced... but I don't, so the best I can do is hit the broad side of a barn. And I really don't think I would look good in booty shorts. >.>

Here's the thing, though. I tend to think of characters more along the lines of their personalities than in any other way. So in that respect, of course Rinn suits me because her personality is a derivative of my own.

+Quote Post
OzzaJW
post May 2 2003, 03:59 PM
Post #5

Psy Armor

Member No.: 24

i'm pretty much the same as layrinn lol.

I am not a whory woman with big blades and rather large "assets", not do i fit easily into a 17" monitor lol. if i could have a small adolescent thing with no real direction in life, then that'd be me lol, but i prefer being sumoe else on a game (while speaking and stuff it's me, but purely on physicalities, then it's 100% not me, unless i had many operations).

--------------------
user posted image
Co-founder of Intrinity-the Era of Destiny

+Quote Post
Bryn
post May 3 2003, 04:08 AM
Post #6

Nothing but the rain.

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 5

I always imagined the character of Brynhilde as somewhat refined and elegant, which I am not. Tramping around mucky places in a long flowing dress for the sake of fashion is just plain silly, and I would more than likely direct someone to the nearest box of Band-aids for their owies, than rush to their aid and heal them. beigelaugh.gif

On the whole, my characters are generally pure fabrication, and the only thing we share in common is our complete lack of a sense in direction. beigeroll.gif

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post May 4 2003, 11:34 PM
Post #7

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

The way I act as Crushinator online is the real me, but as far as the HUcast playing style goes...probably not my personality. On PSO I will usually rush in, bust some chops, and ask questions later--but in real life I am more methodical and I like to plan things in advance. I'm pretty impulsive though, so I guess it depends on the situation. beigelaugh.gif

Shiho is just weird, and I like to have fun being her. On v2 I didn't know what to do as her, but on v3 I really like the personality and catch phrases I've created.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Shotie
post May 7 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #8

14g Balls of Steel

Member No.: 22

I don't really role-play in PSO, and when I do, it's only to further the humor of the situation. I.E. the time I made a FOmar for Cmode and kept talking about my "wang" beigelaugh.gif

I was like, "omg never had one before!" and a bunch of low-brow jokes insued. But it was fun.

Since I don't role-play, I suppose it's safe to say my characters reflect my personality-since they are literally me talking. :D

--------------------
user posted image
WHM61/RDM72/SMN38/BLM17
RANK 10

+Quote Post
Guest_Shojin_*
post May 8 2003, 09:05 AM
Post #9

Guests

Of course you role play! Whenever your playing an rpg you role play.

+Quote Post
Layrinn
post May 8 2003, 02:02 PM
Post #10

Grand Armor

Well, I kinda disagree with that. Maybe it's just different interpretations of what it means to Role Play. In my opinion, Role Playing is speaking and acting as your character would, not (necessarily) how you yourself would. If you get online and act like you normally do and talk about the weather or current events or what happened at shool or work today... that's not Role Playing.

Hehe, Shotie... there's nothing at all wrong with low-brow jokes. beigelaugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Shojin_*
post May 9 2003, 08:50 AM
Post #11

Guests

hmm Ive always thought of Role Playing as "Playing a game in which you control a person or thing through a story or sequence of events and interpret a path for he/she/it." THats what ive always thought, and any character i make is directly related to my personality imo.

When im pissed off, my character acts pissed off

When im happy ( a rarity) my character is happy.

I dont understand how you can make a diffrent personality for a character, and play that char in that manner, because you would be lying ot the community and yourself...

simple as that

+Quote Post
Layrinn
post May 9 2003, 09:49 AM
Post #12

Grand Armor

So does that mean movie actors are liers? How about novelists? If I write a story and the main character has a personality different than mine, am I lying to my readers? I think that's a pretty narrow-mined opinion.

When I play Rinn... that is, when I get into her role... I give her a personality that's distinctly different from my own. For example, I don't say things like "Whee-hoo!!" in real life. I'm not a girl who casts magic and slays monsters in real life. ;p Everyone here knows enough about me to understand that. It's not lying... it's called being creative. It's the same as if I got up on a stage and acted out a role in a play or wrote a fantasy novel. (In fact, I believe it's the union of those two activities) It's probably my favorite way to channel my creative energy. I do it for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others... those who can appreciate it, anyways.

If someone created a different personality and then presented that as "the real them", then that would be a slightly different matter. That can and often does lead to some sticky situations. Even still, maybe that person just doesn't want anyone online to know the real them... and I think that's perfectly acceptable and understandable. I just think in that case, the person should still make the distinction clear.

Either way... it's freakin' game. Play it how you wanna play it. And I'll leave you with this little piece of advice: If you go into any online situation expecting everyone to behave in the same exact way they do in person, then you're in for a very rude awakening.

+Quote Post
Guest_Shojin_*
post May 9 2003, 03:26 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Layrinn @ May 9 2003, 10:49 AM)
So does that mean movie actors are liers?  How about novelists?  If I write a story and the main character has a personality different than mine, am I lying to my readers?  I think that's a pretty narrow-mined opinion.

When I play Rinn... that is, when I get into her role... I give her a personality that's distinctly different from my own.  For example, I don't say things like "Whee-hoo!!" in real life.  I'm not a girl who casts magic and slays monsters in real life. ;p  Everyone here knows enough about me to understand that.  It's not lying... it's called being creative.  It's the same as if I got up on a stage and acted out a role in a play or wrote a fantasy novel.  (In fact, I believe it's the union of those two activities)  It's probably my favorite way to channel my creative energy.  I do it for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others...  those who can appreciate it, anyways.

If someone created a different personality and then presented that as "the real them", then that would be a slightly different matter.  That can and often does lead to some sticky situations.  Even still, maybe that person just doesn't want anyone online to know the real them... and I think that's perfectly acceptable and understandable.  I just think in that case, the person should still make the distinction clear.

Either way... it's freakin' game.  Play it how you wanna play it.  And I'll leave you with this little piece of advice: If you go into any online situation expecting everyone to behave in the same exact way they do in person, then you're in for a very rude awakening.

hmm, never looked at that way, well anyway no need to make a scene it was only an opinion beigelaugh.gif
(man is it just me or does everyone lash out at ya when you state an opinion.)

I just said i didnt understand.

Also, I know people that act in diffrent ways online than they do in real life, i just didnt understand why. Ive played my fair share of online games, im no newbie thankyou very much shades.gif

+Quote Post
Dive
post May 9 2003, 03:45 PM
Post #14

Antarctica Traffic Control

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Shojin @ May 9 2003, 04:26 PM)
(man is it just me or does everyone lash out at ya when you state an opinion.)

No it's only you, it's the way you say things to people, learn some respect.

+Quote Post
Layrinn
post May 9 2003, 04:08 PM
Post #15

Grand Armor

QUOTE (Shojin @ May 9 2003, 05:26 PM)
I just said i didnt understand.

And then right after that, you said people who role play (by my definition, at least) are liers:
QUOTE (Shojin @ May 9 2003, 10:50 AM)
I dont understand how you can make a diffrent personality for a character, and play that char in that manner, because you would be lying ot the community and yourself...

simple as that

See?

Yeah, I took it a little personally since it was an obvious reply to my previous statement. I felt as if you had just called my personal integrity into question, and that's something I don't take lightly. If you "just didn't understand" maybe you should have simply asked for an explanation instead.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 09:19 AM