Reply to this topicStart new topic
E3 2011, Wat? Already?
Scan_Man
post Jun 7 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #31

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

You are putting words in my mouth with this gift thing and taking what I said out of context. You did that initially too by suggestion I was just talking about just the 3G version. I wasn't, so I clarified with my next response. I've always been talking about it in the context of AT&T hotspots, with using it as a online mobile device "almost anywhere" for both models because that is what was mentioned in the Conference, and what I am most interested in. You seemed to have missed what I was talking about, the Wifi only model as it relates to its connectivity with AT&T hotspots. I thought that was made clear when I added using Wifi at home being different, since you will not be paying. I don't know how you got to thinking what I said meant I did not know there were two SKUs. Therefore, I tried to clarify in the next response because of I took it as unacknowledged due to misunderstanding of what I said.

So, some AT&T hotspots are free, like Starbucks. So that sorta contradicts what was said in the Conference. But, I've known AT&T to ban MAC Addresses on devices that "pull too much data" on their Wifi hotspot networks even when paying the session fees, and other Wifi hotspot providers doing the same. They have that Wifi only plan for a reason, to make money. It's just I've seen this before while I worked there, so it is just a concern. And I'm being a bit cynical.

I am in no way saying it is a requirement to purchase such a plan if you opt out of using AT&T hotspots, or others, by using free ones if you have the Wifi only model. When I worked for AT&T we were told to sell "Wifi hotspot only plans" all the time to people with laptops who opted out of over-the-air cards, and those that opted not to get a full data plan for their Wifi capable Pocket PCs. I don't see how this is any different. Just they seem to want to sell the customer one of these plans (think of it as "offering it as an option" if you are stuck on the world "sell"). Of course they want to, it's money.

To illustrate the distinction I am making, I'll use the 3DS as an example. The 3DS has Wifi capability, but Nintendo, or a partner (some ISP), is not selling you a specific internet service that will connect the device to the internet. On the other hand, Sony seems to be doing that very thing; offering a specific ISP so the customer can gain access to the Vita/PSN network while mobile, even on just Wifi at an AT&T hotspot location. That is what I mean by it seems THEY WANT to charge you. Which is not the same as THEY WILL charge you, which I did not say.

I'm not talking about Wifi enabled hardware at all, back to your gift comment, I'm talking about using the online features via a public AT&T Wifi connection for the Wifi only model or 3G with the 3G plus Wifi model. Considering it is a mobile device one must think about possible charges to use its online features when out-of-the-house, if he or she plans to use it as a mobile device, when looking at the whole of the cost of the device. Since this is how the device is partly being marketed, with mobile online connectivity in mind. I don't see how it makes sense to travel around and only play offline. Paying for hardware features one is not going to use is not a good purchase in my opinion. But I understand the exception of someone really wanting to play a game on the device, but does not care about the online. But I do not fall in that category, so my first impressions are gut reactionary in nature. Much like you calling the Wii U stupid, and me yesterday saying Kinect was bullshit.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alisha
post Jun 8 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #32

Monk Princess

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 11

i think you are over complicating this. i took it too mean that if you already have another data plan that you use with say an ipad that you can use that same data plan to connect with your vita.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 8 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #33

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

QUOTE(Alisha @ Jun 8 2011, 01:30 AM) *
i think you are over complicating this. i took it too mean that if you already have another data plan that you use with say an ipad that you can use that same data plan to connect with your vita.

That is what I took it to mean too. But, I don't have such a plan. So, if I wanted to save 50 bucks by getting the Wifi model I would ultimately still have to factor how I much will be paying to use these online features mobile yearly. And I would plan to use every online feature anywhere I can, even if I opted for Wifi only model. Using said features is what I think makes most sense to me. Since, I don't see the use for a device that offers strictly a console experience on a small screen, for around the same price as a real console, playing it just at home. I don't plan on buying a 3DS at that price point for this very reason. I have no interest in 3D, so it basically would replace the functionality (grab and go play) of my DSLite which I originally paid $130 for. I like Vita over the 3DS because of the features I might actually use for the price they are selling it. I don't have an iPad, or iPhone, but Vita seems compelling to use as a mobile media device, that also has games and online gaming.

Same goes for Wii U. No need it for based on what I've seen; screen on the controller. If I am at home, I am going to play games on my HD 1080p screen. Now if the GPU can do directx 11, has decent online features, and there are solid exclusive games around launch, then maybe I will look into it replacing my PS3 (which I bought half as a blue ray player and other half so I can also play exclusive games like Uncharted and eventually Last Guardian) as my main gaming console. But, price has to be $300 or less. Maybe I will go as high as $400 if there is some kick ass Nintendo first party games at launch.

To put this on in perspective, to show where I am coming from, I am primarily a PC gamer. I've been happy just playing the PC games released on Steam. But with a PC I can do a lot more than a console, which justifies the price. So yeah I want to know what else I can do on these systems for the price. I'm only interested in paying for compelling features I will use.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:07 PM