Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

A most excellent PSO ep3 review, you have to register to read it though
unitself
post Jun 9 2004, 09:25 AM
Post #1

green and square

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 49

If you are a registered member of the computerandvideogames.com, there is an EXCELLENT review of PSO ep3. Very funny.
The poor guy is just like alot of us. He is/was a huge PSO fan, even a Sega fan in general, until this "game".
Here's a snippet -
"Look at me playing Phantasy Star Online III. I'm staring at the screen, flicking through some attack cards under no pressure whatsoever. It's so laid back, I can lie down. I'm going to lie down. It makes no difference. It's a lot of watching, some clicking to start off more watching and then a Congratulations screen appears. This isn't how video games were supposed to turn out. They're meant to rock your god damn eyeballs out of your head."

It's worth the regisration. It's a European site so the news isn't as up-to-date on the U.S. timeline but the site still has some interesting bits about it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Dive
post Jun 9 2004, 09:45 AM
Post #2

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

I didn't read the review but I will add my 2 meseta. I tried Ep. 3 and just couldn't get into it. Maybe I do not like card battle games. It looked like PSO, it sounded like PSO(well maybe not the sleepy announcer...), but it did not play like the PSO I know.

Your summation of this persons review is spot on my feelings. I was bored with this game almost immediately.

+Quote Post
DivA
post Jun 9 2004, 09:51 AM
Post #3

Deus-Ex MachinA

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 44

yea, some players will find affinity with cards - be it either digital or beyond the digital, card games require a particular thinking that others will find little interest in, if any.. on a personal note, i found ep-3's experience interesting at first glance & even a 'lil addicting - but that sensation declined after a time & didn't hold my interest the way PsO did...ep-3 is not ST's answer to a proper successor, & those that think otherwise may be disappointed..

this kind of experience would work better with real trading card game, but one can't blame ST for experimenting beyond the normal - E for effort.. ;)

+Quote Post
Skorpius
post Jun 9 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #4

Silver Skorpion

Group: Associates
Member No.: 134

It's sad to think that two totaly different games would play the same way.. :/
Kind of like expecting Mario 64 to be likethe old Super Mario games. :o

+Quote Post
unitself
post Jun 9 2004, 02:26 PM
Post #5

green and square

HA!
I think Skorpius just gave us some smack talk!
beigelaugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HC82
post Jun 9 2004, 04:24 PM
Post #6

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Member No.: 4

The game is called C.A.R.D revolution. Pretty much all the screen shots showed tactical grids and cards with lots of numbers, colors, and confusing information.

"Minor slayer, WTF is that?"

Personally, the game is incredibly simplistic and requires very little strategy when you first start off with the beginner decks. You can litterally jam the button, move in, and jam the button some more to score a win.

Better cards and higher card levels yield more deck types with more strategy. Problem is that getting a lot of the cards you want is a pain in the ass, and the deck variations are far too limited early on to capture the attention of more strategic players. Let alone, actually discovering different deck designs with limited number of cards can be problematic when certain obvious deck designs totally overpower more clever deck designs.

The gripe I heard with most X-EP3 players is that it's too slow. Not so much the battles, but actually progression in obtaining new cards and multiples of current cards. Finding a new card is awesome and especially when you see a new combo that can be used with that card, but getting 3 more of the same card can be time consuming and some players don't have the patience.

Of course, if everyone had all the cards, it'd be a bit pointless, but from a sales stand point, the ep3 population had dropped dramatically because people lost interest.

Anyway, certain types of card games aren't always for everyone. PSO is an action game, but PSO fans are gonna be like...

Gib action, NOWZ!!!!
Hell, that's what I sound like if i'm totally wasted.

+Quote Post
unitself
post Jun 10 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #7

green and square

All true.
But!
Being humans, we just can't help wanting a game that looks exactly like the PSO that we all know and love to act like the game we all know and love.
I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, so I can't complain. Yes, I did have fun with it, at first. Then, I had too many times when I was right there facing my enemy and I just wanted to start blasting away but couldn't, or I traded hits for over an hour never touching their HP only busting up their armour or weapons. Over and over and over. It just became a bit too limiting or something.
I did have some truely great times though. I had a few games with Mute and friends that were so fun I still remember them months later. But that was mostly because we were talking trash with each other and joking about the 1HP hits!

--------------------

+Quote Post
donkeybeatz
post Jun 10 2004, 12:08 PM
Post #8

McDonald's!

Group: Magister
Member No.: 32

It may be boring and slow but you gotta admit that it was pretty. I got sucked in with all the pretty graphics and sounds. I mean look at the loading screen! It like watching a flash movie!
From a graphic design perspective, the game blew me away.
Look at the various areas they have! Fighting on top of a windmill? Hell yea!
And the music compliments each stage. Especially the Nebula Montana area. Everything just comes together for me in that area =)
Then you have these kick ass sound effects! Voice is lame but it's still good! "Action!"
Anyway, though its replay value ran out fast, it was a fun ride. It was a nice change of pace from all the hacking (no pun intended) and slashing.
Nothing like pulling off a 3-4 card combo that deals 50+ damage.
Like I have said a bunch of times in the past: its not for everyone!

In the end, I had to let go of it and I got back to good o' PSO Ep.I&II (Blue Burst kinda got me back into it).
I still play Ep.III here and there but not as much as I used to.
I have to say though that this game changed the way I looked at card games.

--d-_-b

--------------------

+Quote Post
HC82
post Jun 10 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #9

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (unitself @ Jun 10 2004, 09:32 AM)
But that was mostly because we were talking trash with each other and joking about the 1HP hits!

The 1hp damage is a good point. I've noticed that certain decks can't really break through for direct damage very quickly, but consistantly keep the opponent in check and keep them on the defense. Other decks can snag faster kills, but in terms of deck effectiveness, they are both equally powerful, but one is far more time consuming then the other. With your cards, card rarity, and deck options being tied to your card level, I prefer getting faster wins.

+Quote Post
Alisha
post Jun 10 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #10

Monk Princess

Member No.: 11

bleh whatever i like this game a lot the only reason i left is because there wasnt enough people online for me to pound into submission

--------------------

+Quote Post
Castoth
post Jun 12 2004, 02:55 AM
Post #11

Disgruntled First Boss

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Alisha @ Jun 10 2004, 04:21 PM)
bleh whatever i like this game a lot the only reason i left is because there wasnt enough people online for me to pound into submission

Or to at least have competiton with. beigebigrazz.gif

*misses those times*

+Quote Post
kyori
post Jun 14 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #12

HUnny Powah!

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (Castoth @ Jun 12 2004, 02:55 AM)
QUOTE (Alisha @ Jun 10 2004, 04:21 PM)

Or to at least have competiton with. beigebigrazz.gif

*misses those times*

no kidding.

+Quote Post
Skorpius
post Jun 17 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #13

Silver Skorpion

Member No.: 134

It's called Mintaka ;o

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:34 AM