The Day After Tomorrow, my impression
Retehi
post May 29 2004, 02:45 AM
Post #1

Show-off

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 10

Anyone catch it? Gonna?

I just got back from it, and damn, friggin awesome effects.

Story overall is kinda corny, dad wants to go save his son stuck in NYC, with other side things happening. Thing that ticked me off in this movie is you don't know what the hell happens to some of characters in the movie (scientists in Scotland) , and some don't even fit in or make sense (the kid in the hospital, the hell?)

Tension is pretty cool, you wanna know what happens next and whatnot, mass chaos and things being destroyed, pretty fun to watch.

Aside the cheesy story, I liked it, the huge weather effects were the real eye candy here.

I know this sounds scrambled and whatnot, but I just got home and I'm dead tired. beigelaugh.gif

Overall a decent watch, nothing groundbreaking though.

shows how tired I am cause I mispelled the friggin title at first. . . haha

This post has been edited by Sgt. Retehi: May 29 2004, 02:59 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ikari
post Jun 2 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Giga Frame

Group: Associates
Member No.: 117

It ranks up there with Godsend as one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Craptastic story line, some cool visuals, long craptastic story line, left wing propaganda, boring long craptastic story line, lack of any real action.... I could just go on, but impressed I was not. I was however bored to tears. Oh, and if you are ever hit by a piece of hail that large, you aren't just going to fall over dead. That thing will go straight through you in a spectacular bloody fashion. Then you fall over dead. Of course all of this is just my opinion. The movie itself was too long for the little amount of stuff that was going on and was saturated with liberal propaganda about the Republican's ending the world. If I wanted liberal propaganda, I would watch Bowling for Columbine (sp?).

Thus far I am 0/4 with movies (Godsend....worst movie of the summer, Van Hellsing....went in knowing it was bad and it didn't disappoint, Troy....so much potential so little delivered, and The Day After Tomorrow.....zzzzzzzzzzz, second worst movie of the summer). The last good movie I saw was Dawn of the Dead, which is one of the best zombie movies ever made (or in this case, recreated).

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Nynaeve
post Jun 3 2004, 03:46 AM
Post #3

Soul Frame

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 137

beigeroll.gif

Only Ikari would take a movie review and turn it political...DAMN those lefties!

*shakes fist, giggling*

I haven't seen it, but being a degreed meteorologist, want to just for the laughs. Anyone who goes thinking it's real (temps drop 10 deg. a SECOND? Yeah right, that happens ALLLLLL the time....) in any way, shape or form is sadly mislead. I read that it does have comments about greenhouse effect and such, and that if taken with a wide scope of understanding it has some good messages, but greenhouse issues are **worldwide**, and not limited to us poor Democrats and Republicans here in the US, Mr. Ikari. =P Not everything is an evil attempt by those nasty liberals - you're a scientist, Ikari, I'm surprised you'd twist it that way...however I shall see the movie before I continue to berate you in a way that shows that All > Asuka... *snickers and hides*

+Quote Post
Astrid
post Jun 3 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #4

Hyper Frame

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Nynaeve @ Jun 3 2004, 03:46 AM)
beigeroll.gif

Only Ikari would take a movie review and turn it political...DAMN those lefties!

*shakes fist, giggling*

I haven't seen it, but being a degreed meteorologist, want to just for the laughs.  Anyone who goes thinking it's real (temps drop 10 deg. a SECOND?  Yeah right, that happens ALLLLLL the time....) in any way, shape or form is sadly mislead.  I read that it does have comments about greenhouse effect and such, and that if taken with a wide scope of understanding it has some good messages, but greenhouse issues are **worldwide**, and not limited to us poor Democrats and Republicans here in the US, Mr. Ikari.  =P  Not everything is an evil attempt by those nasty liberals - you're a scientist, Ikari, I'm surprised you'd twist it that way...however I shall see the movie before I continue to berate you in a way that shows that All > Asuka...  *snickers and hides*

I haven't seen it yet, but I hear that at least it's mildly educational in terms of global warming and such, even if it is rediculously exaggerated, so I would agree with Ny that this perspective shouldn't be missed. Which is better than your run of the mill 'shoot-em-up' flick, any day, in my opinion.

Of course, I also heard the plot was seriously lacking...

I guess I'll see it for myself and give you my own opinion.

--------------------
"So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, raped him with a corncob and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' So I hit him. What would you do?" -- Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan

+Quote Post
Nynaeve
post Jun 3 2004, 11:10 AM
Post #5

Soul Frame

Isn't the lead guy the same one that was in Twister? No wait...that was someone different, this is Dennis Quaid, right? I was starting to think he is risking the wrath of Mother Nature if he keeps this up.

beigelaugh.gif

Seriously, global warming IS an issue - just look at what SMALL changes can do:

http://www.globalwarming.net/news/eei2002.asp

However, the types of changes noted in this movie would take decades upon decades to happen, slowly, not all at once like that, it's simply not possible.

How large was the hail supposed to be? The largest ever measured officially was something like 17 inches, but people have died from cuts and fractures from hail as small as golf balls...mostly head injuries do them in.

Now i have to see this just to giggle and enjoy the special effects. :D

+Quote Post
Ikari
post Jun 3 2004, 11:55 AM
Post #6

Giga Frame

Group: Associates
Member No.: 117

I'm not saying that global warming isn't an issue. My point is that the movie has very little scientific backing. They talk about some of the theories that could bring about the next ice age, but they aren't applied in any sort of scientific manner. Also the movie is politically charged. Basically blaming the Republicans for not heading the warning of one scientist and bringing about the next ice age. Not that, in the time frame of the movie, the politicians had really any time to do anything about it. There is no educational value in the movie, nor any entertainment value (less you need a nap). Me bieing a scientist doesn't mean that I have to love this movie because it almost has science in it. Nor does it mean I should have to draw anysort of positive critique because the movie glances on global warming. I'm not twisting some beautiful, educational movie about the impacts of global warming into a a movie based of leftist propaganda, unsubstantiated claims, and wild exagerrations. That's what the movie is.

It's a movie, movie's sole purpose in life is to entertain. I found nothing entertaining in the movie and thought they could have done a much better job given the topic of the movie. It's not as bad as Godsend, but in my opinion is still a very subpar movie.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Nynaeve
post Jun 3 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #7

Soul Frame

No no, I thought you were inferring that the movie's attempt to bring to light the dangers of global warming was just a conspiracy theory on the part of the left to make the right look bad - THAT was what my comment about being a scientist was aimed at, my misunderstanding of your point. =P

I certainly HOPE that no one goes to this with the idea it's "educational"...that'd be like saying Halloween is a great movie to show to kids to teach them the dangers of premarital sex! *grin*

You know, I read a review where they said the VP in the movie was FAR too close to Cheney, and how that was stupid. *grin* Now I get your point.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:12 PM