IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 7.66666666667 8.66666666667 9.66666666667 10.6666666667 11.6666666667 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FFXIVstuff, aka monster hunter XIV
Scan_Man
post Aug 14 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #131

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

Of course subject to change. But, if you want to tentatively designate a server for organization purposes. Here is the list:

Gabranth
Garland
Golbez
Emperor
Exdeath
Jecht
Kefka
Ultimecia
Sephiroth
Shadowlord
Xande

Server names are named after FF villains. Shadowlord is the most populated server in the beta. Not surprising.

Also another wave of beta invites should be going out soon. So if anyone gets on the beta, I am on Jecht.

This post has been edited by Scan_Man: Aug 14 2010, 06:12 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Afroforce
post Aug 14 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #132

DAT ASS.

Member No.: 103

I'm up for any server, really. I just want to have an idea of where we'd go so I can start telling people in the group I made on facebook, you know?

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Aug 15 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #133

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

I don't think any of us are really planning a designated server. Although I'd rather stick to a server thats medium populated. I was just planning on starting out wherever and then sending invites to people like that. If anything I'm definitely gonna try to stay away from the more heavily populated servers.

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Aug 15 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #134

Holding these random memories

Member No.: 8

Did they do away with the bullshit friend passes and random server crap from FF11? That was the biggest load of shit, not being able to instantly group with your friends at the launch of the game.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Afroforce
post Aug 15 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #135

DAT ASS.

I'm getting the CE. So I'll be there early, just keep me updated. I'll be watching the forums, regardless.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Aug 15 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #136

Soul Hunter

QUOTE(Crushinator @ Aug 15 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Did they do away with the bullshit friend passes and random server crap from FF11? That was the biggest load of shit, not being able to instantly group with your friends at the launch of the game.

Yeah it seems like the game is gonna have friend codes as I recall thats one of the features of the collectors edition.

QUOTE(Amazon.com)
Product Features
Platform: PC | Edition: Collector
Collector's Edition Content includes the following
Early Access code! (8 days prior to standard edition)
FFXIV Game Disc, Behind the scenes DVD, Buddy Pass Insert
"Right of Passage" voucher, In Game Item, Branded Security Token, and Travel Journal
Delivered by mail-Personalized and numbered "Right of passage" document

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

+Quote Post
Wiryu
post Aug 15 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #137

This is my custom member title.

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 121

That could potentially just be a 14-day free trial for a friend too however? Maybe...

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Aug 15 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #138

Grand Armor

Picking your server is part of the character creation.

I doubt they are going to change this. We tested server selection, and server load with a limited amount of servers to simulate launch day. Basically, trying to crash them with everyone around the world logging in at once. For a good two weeks that is all we were doing. The game was unplayable until Square fixed the servers to be able to handle that type of load.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Aug 15 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #139

Soul Hunter

Actually what is the max population for a server? and whats the most a given area can hold? Are there any areas like Jueno where fucking rubes just gather?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Aug 15 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #140

Grand Armor

The max population is indicated by 4 chocobos next to the name. LOL.

I don't know what the max population is. I would think it would be a lot since the game is cross region, and eventually cross platform.

There is no max for a given area. The game is open world like World of Warcraft. This actually is one of my issues with the game that I have not covered. It is also an issue in World of Warcraft in the neutral cities, like the current one, Dalaran. Super laggy, even if you have a decent system. Or you get spill over lag, because you are close by to a high populated area and it starting put that stuff into memory.

It is even worse in FFXIV because the game is more graphical intense, the city is huge, and character models are very detailed. Going to the city is very stressful right now to get things done because your input for controls and mouse are handled by software and server (to prevent botting). Flipping through menus and buying stuff is not fun in a city. They have improved it, but it still is laggy in high population areas; ie city or starting quest area.

So yes. Cities are where people gather. And it is laggy as hell. With it drawing all the models, and people loading into the game there. Right now it is bad because you start the game in a city, with one to choose from.

At launch this will be helped somewhat because there will be at least three main cities to choose from to spread folks out. But still it won't be fully resolved of how you just start in the city on top of everyone else that is starting out. I would of liked to see each race get a starting zone or something.

Crafting is very viable way of progressing through the game. And there are a ton of crafting classes. So there will be a lot of people hanging out in the cities.

Not that it can be helped much in games like this. But there are other ways to reduce the lag other than spreading out the population via multiple starting cities. I would like to see sub versions of the world, like in Aion. Like if there too many people in the area, just go to World 2 or 3. That would work great for this game.

I recommend to folks to have a nice CPU, quad core of at least 3.2 GHz, a minimum of a Geforce 460 GTX, and at least 4 gigs of ram to avoid these issues. Or else you going to be waiting for optimizations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Aug 15 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #141

Soul Hunter

Ugh, right now I think the biggest thing holding me back is my CPU. I'm running an Intel Quad Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz. I was thinking of maybe trying to overclock it, but I'm pretty hesitant since I've never tried anything like that before and from the little I've read it's more or less guessing then a science.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Aug 15 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #142

Grand Armor

Here is the recommended specs to run the game smoothly at default. Pretty fucking high if you ask me. And makes no sense for a DirectX 9 game.

OS Windows® 7 32-bit/64-bit*
CPU Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66GHz or higher
# AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
RAM 4GB or more
HDD/SDD Installation: 15GB of free space
Download: 6GB of free space on the drive containing "My Documents"
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 or better with VRAM 768MB or more
# ATI HD 5830 1GB or better.
Sound Card DirectSound® compatible sound card (DirectX® 9.0c or higher)
Internet Connection Broadband or better (always-on)
Resolution 1280x720 (32-bit) or higher
DirectX® DirectX® 9.0c
Others Mouse, Keyboard, Gamepad

Yeah wtf hexacore processor if you going with AMD!?

And anything lower than this is going to run into problems in high populated areas. I'm on a AMD Athlon 64 FX 62, 2.8 GHz, and 8800 gtx, with 2 gigs ram atm. It is not pleasant no matter how low I set the settings. It is smooth when I'm out questing, but going near a city or going to a crystal to activate a quest is terrible. It should improve as they optimize the game, or when new drivers come out after release. But, I would not recommend playing the game to anyone with less than the recommended specs for long. I'm going to be building a new system soon because my system is out of date.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Afroforce
post Aug 16 2010, 06:07 AM
Post #143

DAT ASS.

I already showed Dave what I'm having built for me. So I'll be running this fine @ 3.6GHz with a decent card, I hope. I was never one for super cranked up graphic settings anyway, so...I'm sure things will be that much better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Aug 16 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #144

Holding these random memories

Member No.: 8

QUOTE(Scan_Man @ Aug 15 2010, 09:41 PM) *
Here is the recommended specs to run the game smoothly at default. Pretty fucking high if you ask me. And makes no sense for a DirectX 9 game.

OS Windows® 7 32-bit/64-bit*
CPU Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66GHz or higher
# AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
RAM 4GB or more
HDD/SDD Installation: 15GB of free space
Download: 6GB of free space on the drive containing "My Documents"
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 or better with VRAM 768MB or more
# ATI HD 5830 1GB or better.
Sound Card DirectSound® compatible sound card (DirectX® 9.0c or higher)
Internet Connection Broadband or better (always-on)
Resolution 1280x720 (32-bit) or higher
DirectX® DirectX® 9.0c
Others Mouse, Keyboard, Gamepad

Yeah wtf hexacore processor if you going with AMD!?

And anything lower than this is going to run into problems in high populated areas. I'm on a AMD Athlon 64 FX 62, 2.8 GHz, and 8800 gtx, with 2 gigs ram atm. It is not pleasant no matter how low I set the settings. It is smooth when I'm out questing, but going near a city or going to a crystal to activate a quest is terrible. It should improve as they optimize the game, or when new drivers come out after release. But, I would not recommend playing the game to anyone with less than the recommended specs for long. I'm going to be building a new system soon because my system is out of date.

Are those the official recommended specs? That's fucking absurd, the highest I think I've ever seen before! Reeks of a poorly optimized engine to me... crash.gif

Its almost like Square-Enix DOESN'T want people to play the game.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Aug 16 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #145

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

No, I think they just don't want pc loving americans playing their game, just their ever loyal playstation using japanese followers.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 7.66666666667 8.66666666667 9.66666666667 10.6666666667 11.6666666667 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:28 AM