IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
(SPOILERS ABOUND) Hardest final bosses, RPG or otherwise.
DarkEpyon
post Oct 22 2003, 10:01 AM
Post #1

Revolution to the Destruction

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 21

What were some of the toughest final bosses you've gone up against?

For me it was...

Destroyer - Romancing SaGa 3
Even with maxed out characters, this thing still gave you a run for your money. It attacks twice, maybe 3 times each round. Once you get it down low enough it starts busting off like 4 or 5 moves a round. If you didn't bother to kill the 4 guardians in the abyss, this fight is even tougher.

Zeromus - Final Fantasy 4
His big bang would do a good deal of damage and also cause HP leak so if the attack itself didn't do you in, the HP leak would seconds later. He just *loved* to use this attack. Black hole cancelled out all your magic effects like wall and what not. If you used holy or meteo on him, he'd counter by taking the caster's HP into the single digits. And if Rosa or Rydia were still under a big bang-induced HP leak, they were pretty much dead. If you got him like under 10000HP he'd start using meteo. Thank God it wasn't the overpowered one that Rydia or FuSoYa could use, otherwise this boss would be unbeatable.

Sigma - Megaman X
This was probably the toughest one IMO.

Wily's final form - Megaman 7
This one liked to move around a lot and shoot out fire and ice projectiles that immobilized you on contact. Very frustrating.

Super Shredder - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4
Like in the past games, he could turn your characters into ordinary turtles. He also had a few other nasty attacks up his sleeve and could only be hurt when the flame around his body was a certain color.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DivA
post Oct 22 2003, 11:27 AM
Post #2

Deus-Ex MachinA

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 44

~final fantasy 7 : both weapons, in particular - underwater weapon.. that was a personal holy war; one, that unless everything was perfectly planned with the right leverage & gear (especially knights of the round..) - one would be 100% FBR*.. Oo

*reflects* that was perhaps the greatest battle i had ever fought; afterwhich, sephiroth was deemed "irrelevant" after a single a round.. ^^

note* - FBR : "F" beyond redemption.. (lol, use your imagination.. ;p)

+Quote Post
Ether
post Oct 22 2003, 01:36 PM
Post #3

+4 HP

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 41

MDK2's Zizzy, when playing as Max. Hardest boss ever x.x

To sum it up, you have to take out a number of different body parts, all of which have hp regen on crack. Max has four arms, and can hold four guns at once, but even with four of the most powerful gun, you barely do enough damage to counter the regen. Run out of time, ammo, or just get hit/knocked down, and your enemies life pops back up to full x.x

+Quote Post
Bantam13
post Oct 22 2003, 03:42 PM
Post #4

The Enemy.

Group: Associates
Member No.: 61

I'd have to through my games in order to properly recall a really tough final boss challenge....but the only one that springs to mind has to be the final (Gear fight) boss in Xenogears. It was hella tough keeping those frames in nominal working order while attempting any form of attack. The damage this guy dealt was insane compared to what you were capable of throwing back his way.

Nightmare, while not a final boss, was the toughest challenge from Devil May Cry IMHO, simply because of that cheesy "you hit me, so I've gotta hit you at the same time" bs I've come to know and love (??) from most Capcom games by this point.

Zeromus was tough?? When did I miss that memo?? The way I look at it:

Kain jumps to minimize damage.
Rosa heals when necessary.
Cecil backs up Rosa, only attacking when the party is near full health.
Rydia summons.
Edge just throws out your old junk for heavy damage.

I'll be realistic here and admit that the Big Bang did hinder a lot of potential attacking strategies, but there were holes in his defense you could exploit if you had the HP to survive.

Mega Man 7: No arguements here. Moving on.

MegaMan X: Funny you should mention this game. I just played it recently, and while I may no longer have the reflexes from my SNES days, I didn't think he was all that tough. Only real issue here is the damage ratio you take from direct contact from Sigma....even with the armor upgrade, it hurts....a lot.

A pattern has appeared. Command??

===============

Sigma's dog: Before battle, charge your weapon to its full extent. Immediately after Sigma's speech is finished, perform a half-jump and release the shot. A level 2 or 3 charge knocks the pooch off its heels and gives you breathing room. Anyway, run to the left wall, climb and stay until the dog gives you some distance....then drop and fire another charged blast. If he hugs the wall and blows the fire column beneath you, jump out and fire once you land.

Sometimes, the dog will line himself directly underneath, so you may want to weave towards the wall in mid-air to regain your lost footing, or if the dog is far enough away, fire your shot. By this time, ol pound poochie is mighty offended that you won't come and play with him, so he decides to pounce back and forth along the walls until you has you in his jaws. Just slide down and fire when you have a clean charge shot waiting to bust his face wide open. Hopefully you won't take too much damage.

Sigma - Jedi Knight wannabe: Depending on where you start, you can take a single shot (charged or not)....if you're too close to risk it, don't bother. After you fire, immediately dash in the opposite direction and scale the wall while charging. Sigma will probably wait it out a few seconds before:

- Firing small bullets out his big ol' Popeye-lookin' head,
- Sidle up real cozy like to the wall you're dry humpin', or
- Make like his dog and jump for the Beggin Strips hangin' outta your ass.

Don't sweat the bullets. They can't touch you if you're high enough.

If he jumps, stay on your wall until he makes his second jump away from you....drop and fire in midair to tag him. If timed right, he should flash just long enough to where you can get off a single uncharged shot in his face when he drops from the final jump before you ascend the wall again. Keep on the same wall if he employs this method of attack.

If he shimmies up to the wall, he will make a series of wall jumps to where he will inevitably meet you in your hidey hole. Once he finishes his first jump, drop and fire, then immediately dash to the other side and start climbing....there you wait for Sigma's next setup. Repeat until he drops enough weight to look like that creepy crystal skull from the "House" movies.

Sigma - Anubis: Whoo-boy. It's hella tough getting through here without taking heavy damage, but it can be done. Set up shop dead center, then wait for one of three things:

- Head will blink, then follow up with a fireblast, stretching from left to right/right to left center screen.
- Head will blink, then follow up with a series of highly damaging disk attacks shooting in the pattern listed above. Tougher to dodge.
- One of the arms will shoot down towards you, dealing heavy damage or a straight kill depending on how it strikes. (Those spikes HURT.) Tough to anticipate, easy to dodge if you're on the ball.

No matter what attack Sigma starts with, you have to be aware of the lightning bolts coursing through both of his hands at all times. Even with your feet firmly planted on either platform/hand, you can take heavy damage here if you don't align yourself to the left or right of center, depending on your position and plan of attack.

If Sigma starts the flame breath, run to the opposite corner from where the breath originates, dodging the lightning along the way. You should be safe against the wall for a few moments until the breath subsides.

If Sigma starts the disk launching, stand directly left or right underneath the central position, using Sigma's head as a center point. Depending on the direction the disks shoot, you need to wait until the dead last second after the disk in front of you falls to dash towards it and avoid the next in the series. This is the toughest part to consistently dodge, but it can be done. Example: if Sigma starts the disks on the left side, keep on the right side of his head until the last moment, then dash.

Keep in mind that only a fully charged X-Buster (hopefully you have the upgrade, or you're screwed) will damage Sigma's weak point. This is a fairly lengthy battle, and great patience is required to finish Sigma off for good. When he lowers either hand, jump onto it and ride to the top. You can only take one shot per ride when he does this, since the lightning comes fast behind you once hitting the apex of the flight path. Also, when you do fire, use a half-jump, but keep it floaty enough to where you slightly jump away from the active hand towards Sigma's face, in order to avoid the lightning and prevent slamming headfirst into Sigma, causing massive damage.

Granted, I may not have my old skills, but I used this method long ago, and at my peak....I managed to beat him using only one energy tank as a last resort. buttrock.gif

===============

TMNT 4: Was that the arcade game?? Or the SNES version of Turtles in Time?? Super Shredder was a cakewalk on the SNES version....it's been awhile, but if the arcade version is exactly the same....then he shouldn't be any problem for me as well. Though that ray that turned you into a turtle baby and killed your credits was kinda cheesy.

Final Fantasy VII: Umm....funny thing. I had a really easy time on Emerald, while Khao walked all over Ruby....but it was so long ago I barely remember anything about it, except for you should go into battle against Ruby with two of your three party members already deceased. Khao might remember more about this than I do, lol.

Never played MDK2 or any of the Romancing SaGa games, so I have no clue there.... =X

Bantam13
--Throws it down old school style.

--------------------
"Leaders are for fools who need to follow." - Fangry
"Everything succumbs to those who wait." - Razorclaw
"I take a licking and keep on kicking." - Ruckus

PSO Characters:

Alisah Neiko - HUnewearl - YELLOWBOZE - lvl 200 (Yeesh, FINALLY....)
Jakira_Vogni - FOnewearl - PURPLENUM - lvl 178

user posted image

Mnk lvl 75/Blm lvl 61/War lvl 65/Whm lvl 53/Thf lvl 35/Rdm lv 21/Nin lvl 37/Drg lvl 37

+Quote Post
Khaotika
post Oct 22 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #5

Saw It Coming

Member No.: 57

Yep, go into battle with 2 characters dead on Ruby, and she's a breeze. This is, of course, to prevent that weird sandstorm attack she has that eliminates one character from your team. Sometimes, however, she might blow away one character before you finish her off, but it's pretty rare if you're a high enough level.

Ugh, why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned NECRON from FFIX? I hate that bastard so much. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's two words for you:

GRAND CROSS

What's this? A super evil attack that affects all party members and has a chance of causing the following? (Curse, Death, Confuse, Poison, Dark, Lv Down, 1 HP, No Magic Use, Mini, the ability to take away the use of Phoenix Down/Life spells, and omg a host of other nasty things) Basically to beat him was down to luck...you had to hope that whenever he used GRAND CROSS on you, that you could recover your characters. It's not fun to try to fight him when you can't revive Garnet, Zidane can't Dyne, and Steiner won't get out of his confused state. bash.gif

-Khao

--------------------
Sometimes when I talk to people, I like to imagine a giant "EDIT" button over their head. Not that it matters, I always reach for "DELETE".

+Quote Post
HC82
post Oct 22 2003, 04:51 PM
Post #6

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Khaotika @ Oct 22 2003, 05:31 PM)
Ugh, why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned NECRON from FFIX? I hate that bastard so much. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's two words for you:

GRAND CROSS

Power leveling is good, no? When I fought the guy he casted some low level ice spell, then followed it up with a status effect spell that missed. I think I killed him right after that.

I know of a hard game. It's for the sega genesis. Its name is...

TARGET EARTH

I don't think it is possible to beat it without using cheat codes.

+Quote Post
DarkEpyon
post Oct 22 2003, 04:58 PM
Post #7

Revolution to the Destruction

Member No.: 21

NeoExdeath in FF5 had grand cross too and it did about the same stuff. If it weren't for that, he and Necron would be a total joke.

Another tough one was the last boss to Romancing SaGa 2. It had this move called "temption" that made all your male characters attack their allies. It liked to do that *a lot* too.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Rogue
post Oct 22 2003, 05:04 PM
Post #8

Hyper Frame

Member No.: 7

As if flying through FF9 to get Excalibur II wasn't hard enough, I wasn't prepared for Necron. Took me a week to beat that bish (well, second time through when I was trying for Excalibur II anyways)

Well, I'm sure there's other that I hate too. Songi's final form (Legend of Legaia) was a pain without cheating with the point card. *guilty of that the first time he beat him*

+Quote Post
HC82
post Oct 22 2003, 05:23 PM
Post #9

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Rogue @ Oct 22 2003, 06:04 PM)
Well, I'm sure there's other that I hate too. Songi's final form (Legend of Legaia) was a pain without cheating with the point card. *guilty of that the first time he beat him*

I forgot about this game. This game is all about your levels, yet leveling was so damn slow. It's a shame the battles are just button mash fests. I got so tired of the battles, that I began to just run from most of them. I sure did regret that when I got near the end, since I was about 2 levels under what I would of been if i had not ran away. I think I spent 20 minutes leveling to get another level for one person, then becoming incredibly bored. I just tried to beat the boss for that area again and won. Some rpgs tend to be hard only because your underleveled and you have to forcibly level up. Legend of legaia was on of them

+Quote Post
Madgeiser
post Oct 22 2003, 06:24 PM
Post #10

Wanderer of the plains...

Member No.: 70

Well.... FF7 Ultima weapon was one (The one tha resemble a centaur) the other was Emerald Weapon, the one under the sea near the submarine. Always one hit kill, and it took me a good 30 minutes to kill him.

Now... i am not sure the ultimate boss in FFX, Penance was it? From what i have read on some forum he is a meany... i need to try it out sometime.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 22 2003, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Guests

That's the EU version you're talking about which was a port of the Japanese FFX International. The US version was the bare-bones FF10 that came out in July 2001 back in Japan. We could've had the FF10:I but Square wanted to get the game out in time for Christmas to capitalize on the holiday season. Lord knows they needed it after that movie of theirs tanked.

+Quote Post
Ether
post Oct 22 2003, 06:54 PM
Post #12

+4 HP

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Khaotika @ Oct 22 2003, 05:31 PM)
Ugh, why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned NECRON from FFIX?

I had a much harder time on Trance Kuja, took several tries, only to beat Necron on my first >.>; Party was Zidane, Garnet, Eiko, and Freya.

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Oct 22 2003, 07:45 PM
Post #13

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

Emerald Weapon from FF VII was an easy kill. The hard part was taking the time to prepare for it. What I did was raise Knights of the Round to its max level and spawned another one, equiped both to Cloud, but I combined one with a maxed out hp drain and the other with a maxed tp drain, never ran out of hp or tp. Then did the mimic trick. I had on Tifa a final attack combined with a maxed Phoenix and covered my self from Emerald's super attack.

Ruby Weapon was a lot tougher, but I did the two dead trick. Using Knights was a must, but the counter attack from Ruby was nasty. The fight took longer and the reward for it blew compared to Emerald's

Lavos from Chrono Cross was a pain, because of the order that the spells and abilities had to be used in order to free Kid's alter ego (for the life of me I can't remember how to spell her name).

Well they arn't really end bosses but the World Devastators from the first Rogue Squadron were a pain, first taking out their shield generators then flying below them and shooting out the thusters. The were 3 of them and also having to take out the fighters added to the pain.

Theres more but this post is long enough as it is.

+Quote Post
Khaotika
post Oct 23 2003, 02:27 AM
Post #14

Saw It Coming

Member No.: 57

Dyne: Well, I tried him with all my characters around level 68, so that might have been a reason why I didn't kill him first try. I finally beat him with everyone at 75. Thing is, that spell is random, and apparently my copy of FFIX was injected with pure evil...which is why everytime I fought him (5 times), he'd end up wasting my characters. On the 5th try, I got lucky...nothing major to correct.

Rogue: Wow, you got Excalibur II, congrats. I think by the time I got to Necron, I just wanted it done with.

Ether: Kuja was kinda tough...that was probably the worst part about facing Necron many times was that you had to fight him right before. @.@

Now that I think about it, I hated Lich in FFIX too. Too many Death spells.

I'd love to play FFX-International. I whupped the Monster Arena in the US one, and had a great time doing so. pirate.gif

FF5 annoyed me...so thankfully I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Neo X-Death.

-Khao

--------------------
Sometimes when I talk to people, I like to imagine a giant "EDIT" button over their head. Not that it matters, I always reach for "DELETE".

+Quote Post
Alisha
post Oct 23 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #15

Monk Princess

Member No.: 11

hmn how about gill in street fighter 3 3rd strike
Resurection=cheapest move in the long sad history of cheap moves
Zophar-Lunar 2......

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:00 AM