IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Halo 2 impressions so far, what'cha think?
unitself
post Nov 11 2004, 10:28 AM
Post #1

green and square

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 49

TEN-HUT space marines!

How is everyone liking the new Halo 2?
How far along are you in the solo campaign?
How are the multiplayer online matches going?
Did you buy the "Special Edition" tin box?
So, without spoiling too much for the people who haven't purchased the new game or the ones who aren't very far along yet, what does everyone think about it?

Me...
So far, I love it. The new enemy is really cool... the new(er) weapons are cool... the new(er) vehicles are cool... everything you love about the first Halo done more!
I haven't progressed very far yet. I have made it just past the tank bridge run. I can say that I like the way the levels / area are laid out. I especially liked the opening on ship battle at the very beginning. Small, tight spaces... stairs... actual glass(!!)... I love the whole blastin the aliens off of my own star ship scenario. The (really) long, winding tunnel part was pretty cool although I thought it went on for a bit too long. It brought back memories of hauling ass in the last sequence of Halo 1. I can only imagine this new tunnel playing a big part in Halo 2's final sequence as well. beigesmile.gif

Weird stuff -
I am noticing ALOT of textures that draw on the models a split second after each new scene comes up. Is anyone else getting this? I guess it's not the worst thing, but I just find it odd that after three years of development that this is happening.
I am also not sure that I like the Covenant speaking english. I think I would have prefered their "language" being spoken with english subtitles. I did like the way the little dudes would shout english words at me in the first game, but I just chalked that up to something like me not knowing a lick of spanish but being about to say words like cerveza and other important words like that.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
donkeybeatz
post Nov 11 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #2

McDonald's!

Group: Magister
Member No.: 32

QUOTE (unitself @ Nov 11 2004, 11:28 AM)
Weird stuff -
I am noticing ALOT of textures that draw on the models a split second after each new scene comes up. Is anyone else getting this?

My friend was experiencing the same thing. He thought it was just his copy. He also mentioned some other stuff but it was mainly about the texturing.
Anyway, I watched my friend play and the air battles are pretty cool. Haven't seen too much of the game to actually give any other input.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Nov 11 2004, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (DJ_Donkey @ Nov 11 2004, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (unitself @ Nov 11 2004, 11:28 AM)
Weird stuff -
I am noticing ALOT of textures that draw on the models a split second after each new scene comes up. Is anyone else getting this?

My friend was experiencing the same thing. He thought it was just his copy. He also mentioned some other stuff but it was mainly about the texturing.
Anyway, I watched my friend play and the air battles are pretty cool. Haven't seen too much of the game to actually give any other input.

I think every game is like that because I have been browesing around sites and asking other people and they have the same problem. Also this game is awesome and I will probably be getting xbox live sooner than expected. My friend and I have beat this in campaign mode offline but we havn't played much multiplayer yet. I also like the guy who does the voice of the Elite who leads the attack on earth and is branded and gets new armor on the first convenent mission. I'm not quite sure what his name is but I know he also plays a part on the G.D.I. in Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun. My favorite weapon is probably the covenent sniper rifle. I think it's better than the other sniper because you dont have to take time to reload it but it does overheat if you shoot it 3 times in a row. I'm really looking forward to see what it is like online.

+Quote Post
Dive
post Nov 11 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #4

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

I love it. I haven't progressed very far at all in the Campaign mode yet. I tried that out at first then went online and haven't looked back since. I have been in several Team Skirmish battles, trying to get a good feel for the maps and general strategy for all of the team playlists. Last night I got invited to join a party with three other players I met, It was big fun. If at least four of us met online and all grouped up, we could go through the Matchmaking together, keeping the same side everytime. I think just using the Quickmatch option with our team would get us the most experience and feel for all of the varied playlists. There are modes like Capture the Flag variants, Team Slayer, Assault, King of the Hill, and more. After we get some practice as a party in Quickmatch, we can move on to Minor Clan Matches. Eventually when more people get Live we can move up to Major Clanmatches with 8 vs. 8.
sniperer.gif ctf.gif

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Nov 11 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Holding these random memories

Member No.: 8

I just finished campaign mode last night, and suffice it to say I am pissed. The game doesn't really "end" it just cuts of at a very inopportune spot. It was compete bullshit, because you are all geared up for some really cool stages coming up, and then BAM the credits just roll.

I could forgive Bungie for having a cheese "to be cotinued..." lead in to Halo 3 at the end of the game... Its a good franchise, and of course they gotta make a sequel. But god DAMNIT, they could have at least finished the fucking story they started out in Halo 2.

The good and the bad:

+Great graphics and framerate during gamplay
+Excellent music and voicovers
+Multiplayer perfection (of course!)
+Dual Wielding adds a lot more strategy to multplayer
+Hijacking vehicles! Yay!
+Skill level based matching system, so you don't get paired with newbies and veteran players, but people with similar records as your own.

-Weirdass texture loading problem during cutscenes, making the excellent graphics look shitty and glitchy during what should be the most "Showcase" parts of the game.
-Shitty ending, and incomplete feel to the single player game. I doubt I'll be touching it again any time soon.
-Long waits to find matched games if you don't have a team. Seems like sometimes I will wait upwards of 5 minutes for it to find "the best game" to match my profile.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
unitself
post Nov 11 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #6

green and square

Damn.. sounds like the online portion is super fun.
I am going to get online soon... as soon as I buy a 30 foot cable to trail thru the house, that is. I have been reluctant to add my name to the LIVE thread because of this. But, reading about all the fun I am missing is making me ansy to try it out. Maybe I will just drill a hole thru the floors and thread the cable from room to room. Yeah! Under the house fun time!! hahaa...

Glad (?) to hear that the texture load isn't just my disk. I didn't think it was because I was able to play the game without it crashing.

oh yeah... speaking of online matches. Has anyone tried out the "swords only" game?

and... I am just going to chalk up crushinator's comments to the fact that he was most likely jacked up on cheetos and jolt and wasn't thinking straight! He did finish the game in like... A DAY!!! beigelaugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riel
post Nov 11 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #7

Guardian Armor

Member No.: 14

Overhyped maybe yes,but the single player is damn great,besides the surprising late texture draw ins in some area's and the choppy cut-scenes who also suffer from pop-ups,everything else is AAA in my book...and then there's online with Live,i mean i played almost 2 hours last evening,with a fps that's very rare for me,20 minutes and i'm usually bored or fed -up.

I would go with Gamespot on this and give the game a 9.4,which is a very good grade nonetheless.But i have seen a few 10's and 9.9 from mags and sites and that's a little high i think.

--------------------
============================

+Quote Post
DarkEpyon
post Nov 14 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #8

Revolution to the Destruction

Member No.: 21

I'll admit this game looks kinda cool. I'd love to join you guys, however my days of buying a console for one particular game are done. Plus, I suck at these kinds of games. I literally die every 2 seconds.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Afroforce
post Nov 14 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #9

DAT ASS.

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (DarkEpyon @ Nov 14 2004, 05:01 PM)
I'll admit this game looks kinda cool. I'd love to join you guys, however my days of buying a console for one particular game are done. Plus, I suck at these kinds of games. I literally die every 2 seconds.

Get it for PC then.

(Like me. beigebiggrin.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
unitself
post Dec 10 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #10

green and square

Ok. I completed Halo 2 last night and now I understand (completely) what everyone is bitching about. The ending was more Hollywood than... Hollywood! Damn them! At least the first game had that run your ass off and blow up the whole place kinda ending. This was like... hardcore shit getting ready to happen and ... BAM! Nothing. Even Master Cheif's last words were a set up!
The game as a whole still rocked, and I will most likely make another run thru in a few months but it didn't have the same impact on me as the first Halo did. There were parts in the first Halo where I was like, "Holy hell! How am I gonna make it out of this!!!" Flood everywhere... blood, parts flying, ammo running low, ACK! There were only like one or two places like that in Halo 2 and they were mostly because some huge Brute or something was just hard to hit, not that the entire room was filled with crazy shit all pointed at you.
I just realized that I was ranting...
Halo 2 still kicks ass and everyone should play it.
beigelaugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Dec 10 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Holding these random memories

Member No.: 8

More importantly... everyone should get online and show up for AT Halo 2 practice on Saturday! bash.gif

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:42 AM