+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 7 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #17

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

Wii U

I'm confused. Are they just showing the controller, and how it it can stream. Seems like they are not showing the actual system. The graphics are there. But wait, what?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Jun 7 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #18

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

Yeah, it's fucking stupid. Basically the Wii U houses hardware comparable to current gen systems, and can stream the video of the game wirelessly to the controller, bypassing a need for a TV (but it can still output to a TV in HD).

The controller itself has a 6.2" touchscreen, 2 analog sticks, D-pad, 4 shoulder buttons, gyro, accelerometer, speakers, mic, front facing camera... basically every god damn piece of tech Nintendo could possibly cram into it. God knows how much that monstrosity will cost.

I'll still get a 3DS, I'm excited for Star Fox and Super Mario 3D, but fuck what I've seen for the Wii U so far.

This is what the system looks like, obviously still prototype now.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 7 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #19

Grand Armor

It seems all strange because they kept emphasizes that this is the controller for Wii U. Nintendo is always mysterious though.

But its the same thing about how I feel about Kinect and Move. I don't care to play games like that. When basic controls have worked well for years, no need to reinvent the wheel. Its neat piece of tech, but I want to play games the way I've been playing them. And most hardcore gamers are going to say "well this does not offer me anything I can't find on 360 or PS3." Just like in the past it will come down to Nintendo exclusives, and third party will not sale on it (unless the graphics capability is quite ahead of 360 and PS3).

Now Nintendo did say the goal of this system is so gamres can play how and what they want. So you can use classic style controllers. But, still a big what the fuck!

Edit: yeah I see the new system itself on Kotaku. So it comes down to specs I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 7 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #20

Grand Armor

I think I'm most excited about Sony after this E3. *Bout to go pick up Infamous 2*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alisha
post Jun 7 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #21

Monk Princess

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 11

i havent seen nintendos conference yet but im excited for the VITA.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 7 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #22

Grand Armor

Yeah I like the Vita. I would rather get one of those than a 3DS. Nice features and price point. However you have factor in the monthly data plan from AT&T. I don't know why one would get it and not utilize it's online features. But, it's the same problem I have with the PSP is I want to play "console like" games in HD on a big screen not a small screen. I don't have that much issue with DS because it has exclusive more simpler games that are more, with the exception of certain games like Pokemon, are pick up and play when you out of your home.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Jun 7 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #23

You talk like getting the 3G version of the Vita is required. I think the PSVita is just a viable in the WiFi only model. No way in hell I would get a second dedicated cellular data plan just for a handheld I'll only play when I'm shitting or on an airplane.

Jokes aside, I can't really imagine playing PSVita in any place where I wouldn't already have some kind of access to WiFi, and I find it hard to justify playing the extra for data when its only real use would be online play/downloading games. If i need to use the web/skype/whatever on the go, that's why I have an iPhone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wiryu
post Jun 7 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #24

This is my custom member title.

Member No.: 121

As it still houses every mascot from my childhood, and never fails to give up a good in house multi-player experience, I'll still get a Wii U. I might just be misunderstanding the reactions here, but did any of you expect nintendo to stop going down the road they have been? Anyone should have expected that this wasn't going to be a Nintendo 360 based on the past 10 years of nintendo hardware releases.

+Quote Post
Wiryu
post Jun 7 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #25

This is my custom member title.

Member No.: 121

http://kotaku.com/5809566/this-is-surely-t...ario-bros-games

I honestly like the way it's set up.

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 7 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #26

Grand Armor

In the conference they said AT&T will be the exclusive carrier for Vita. I used to work for AT&T a couple years ago, and I took this to mean they are going to sell you a data plan or a service plan of some type regardless of what version you get. In the conference it was specifically mentioned you can use the Wifi hotspots free if you already have an AT&T service plan. The wifi only plans were about 20 bucks a month for laptops. I understand most of the popular places with Wifi use AT&T. There are likely going to use the line of "it pulls a lot more data over our network compared to people with laptops browsing the internet, so you have to pay to use online at places like Starbucks." I don't know it just sounded like they want to charge you for mobile access one way or the other, both wifi and 3G.

But if you want to use Wifi via your internet at home that is a different thing. I'm looking at it strictly from the mobile perspective of using the online features almost anywhere, and going off based what was said in the conference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Jun 7 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #27

I think you might have missed the two separate SKUs. Yes ATT is the exclusive 3G partner, but you can also get a WiFi only version of the PSVita for only $249, the 3G enabled version is $299.

I figure it will be similar to how Apple positions the different versions of the iPad. You can get a standard one with WiFi only, or you get get the 3G enabled version that requires a separate cellular data plan.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/06/playstat...11-starting-at/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 7 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #28

Grand Armor

QUOTE(Wiryu @ Jun 7 2011, 02:11 PM) *
As it still houses every mascot from my childhood, and never fails to give up a good in house multi-player experience, I'll still get a Wii U. I might just be misunderstanding the reactions here, but did any of you expect nintendo to stop going down the road they have been? Anyone should have expected that this wasn't going to be a Nintendo 360 based on the past 10 years of nintendo hardware releases.

Well yeah, you're right.

I think most hardcore gamers, deep down, that care about Nintendo games, want to play Nintendo games and all those great 3rd party games all on one platform. With this, as of now, there is no reason to give up Xbox 360 or PS3 in terms of 3rd party (refer to what I said above in regards to this). That is unless the GPU is doing directx 10 or 11 (the biggest factor). Also, if the the system has enough VRAM to actually support full 1080p games (even Anti-aliasing) like you find on PC. Xbox 360 games and PS3 games (some few exceptions like FFXIII and the home screen) run in 720p upscaled to 1080p. Playing in real 1080p versus something upscaled is a world of difference in terms of visuals. Then it would have an edge there when it comes to 3rd party at least for a little while until Sony and Microsoft comes with there new consoles. People may leap frog Wii U much like they did with the Dreamcast.

Another wild card is their online. No friend codes please.

The interview done with Reggie seems like they really want to push 3rd party by helping them market the games 3rd parties produce this time around. We will see.

I think the tech is neat as hell. But, it is not for me. Much like how I tired of motion controls on Wii, so don't care for Move or Kinect either. Maybe they will get some of those great small indie games that you find on Steam or on iPad. Lots of opportunity there. HD Angry Birds, that can be played on the big screen or on the controller. I see this being the number one platform for that sort of thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 7 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #29

Grand Armor

QUOTE(Crushinator @ Jun 7 2011, 03:39 PM) *
I think you might have missed the two separate SKUs. Yes ATT is the exclusive 3G partner, but you can also get a WiFi only version of the PSVita for only $249, the 3G enabled version is $299.

I figure it will be similar to how Apple positions the different versions of the iPad. You can get a standard one with WiFi only, or you get get the 3G enabled version that requires a separate cellular data plan.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/06/playstat...11-starting-at/

I know there are two Skus, but in the conference why would he mention AT&T Wifi hotspots being free if you have an AT&T service plan? Sounded to me that you have to pay if you want to use network features at AT&T Wifi hotspots at Starbucks (free last I checked), McDonalds, and Airports for example. If you have the data plan you would not need Wifi unless reception is bad, so they give you the Wifi access as part of the package. If you have the Wifi only model, it sounded to me, you would still have to pay a separate plan or fee to use the Vita network while mobile. When I worked at AT&T that is how we sold the data plans for over-the-air internet, we offered another plan to gain access to all AT&T hotspots around the country. If it is not like that, then why the distinction of free with service plan?

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5949

Looking it up what it is now. This is what I am referring to. It's 20 dollars a month for Wifi at AT&T hotspots. It includes roaming in case you need to use public Wifi on a non-AT&T network. But, 3.99 if you opt to pay per session over an AT&T network, or whatever non-AT&T Wifi hotspots charge. I don't know what they are doing, but he when said they are partnered with AT&T it just screams to me they want to charge you for using Vita mobile network features whether it is from a Wifi hotspot or over 3G. A plan applying to the Vita similar to the ones in the link might be the case.

Paying for Wifi sessions in some places is expected. But, then again I have not heard how Playstation Network factors into this, if Sony wants to charge for this like its Plus service. Or even if some network features are tied to the exclusive deal with AT&T (can you blame them after getting hacked?). And, like I said, I don't see reason for someone to get this (there are exceptions of course) and not use these online features to there full potential even with Wifi only sku. By the time this comes out one might be able to get a PS3 at a $50-$100 price drop for 160GB and 320 GB putting them at the same price as the Vita. So for the same price you have the opportunity to play the real games in these series, and not off-shoots, in HD and you get a blue-ray player too on a PS3. I just don't see the value in this device if strictly used as an offline gaming device.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Jun 7 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #30

Vita is still a PSN device, you won't have to pay extra to use online multiplayer or marketplace type features. Just like the PSP and PS3, you don't need to have a separate subscription or any kind of "plan" to hook those devices up to a WiFi network.

If you're at an AT&T branded hotspot, then yes you'd need their plan to use them for "free" (since your paying in the first place it's not really free), but the WiFi is a part of the hardware itself. If you're always on WiFi (say in your house, school, train, or wherever the hell you're getting online) then you'd never have to connect via the 3G connection.

But your line of thinking seems to be backwards, as if the WiFi access is AT&T's "gift" to the consumer as a part of the 3G data plan. WiFi access itself is inherently free and a part of the PSVita's hardware, its just the access to AT&T branded WiFi spots which is "thrown in" with the plan.

Maybe the AT&T plan will have some exclusive perks (like PSN+ type content, video calls, or something?) but the basic functionality of the device would remain the same, save for the fact that with 3G you'll be "always online" just like a smartphone. But for a dedicated gaming device I do not see the value of this to the point of paying a monthly data fee.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:34 AM