Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nintendo DS, =o
Guest_Zio_*
post Oct 21 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Guests

November 21 is the release day of the Nintendo DS and Super Mario 64 DS is coming out the same day. The new version has 150 stars and you can now play as Mario, Wario, Luigi, and Yoshi. The red colored paragraphs below really caught my attention.

user posted image
user posted image

Nintendo Site
With its two screens, Nintendo DS instantly shows its innovative face. But capabilities like a touch-screen input, voice recognition and wireless communication set it apart from every other game device, and again demonstrate Nintendo’s passion for groundbreaking originality.

Game players need only use their imagination to see how the DS promises to transform the portable game industry by changing the way gamers relate to their games – and each other. Two screens offer two perspectives on the action at once. The touch screen could make accessing items, moving characters or navigating menus as easy as a tap or drag on the screen. Voice recognition could let players simply tell the game what they want it to do. Chat software will let users transmit text messages, handwriting and even drawings to one another. And wireless functions could link players in the same room – or across the country. The unique features of the Nintendo DS hold a wellspring of potential for the future. Game players will be wowed.
-Microphone: An available microphone port means that in the future, players might need only to tell their games what to do. DS software could identify everything from voice commands to hand-clapping. Players might be able to move their characters simply by telling them which way to go. The voice capabilities also could allow gamers to chat with one another over the Internet while playing.

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's wireless range is 30 to 100 feet, depending on circumstances; multiple users can play multiplayer games using just one DS Game Card. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered. The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

The cost is $150.00 and is definately a get. Plus with PSO DS being a possibility makes it even better. If you want more info go to the Nintendo site.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Riel
post Oct 21 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #2

Guardian Armor

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 14

I don't know...it's very cool and once i see one in stores or grab one in my hands to test it out,i might have to buy it but man...it's going to be 200 bucks over here and i like the PSP a lot also...i can't get both...though choice.

--------------------
============================

+Quote Post
SaitoH
post Oct 21 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #3

Introspection

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 111

I'll buy a used one, or when the price drops. Nothing about the system interests me and not being a big portable dude, my GBA SP does me fine.

^w^

--------------------
Aviendha: Human Rogue
Casca: Human Warrior
Elmindreda: Elf Priest
Rottenfilet: Undead Warlock

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Oct 22 2004, 06:11 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (SaitoH @ Oct 21 2004, 09:19 PM)
Nothing about the system interests me and not being a big portable dude, my GBA SP does me fine.

^w^
QUOTE (Nintendo Site)

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's wireless range is 30 to 100 feet, depending on circumstances; multiple users can play multiplayer games using just one DS Game Card. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered.  The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

Not a big portable? >_> What are you talking about =p I wouldn't really mind now if PSU was on this thing...I would probably get more time to play it then. Also how could an extra screen which is a touch screen not interest you o_O I really can't wait for this to come out. On a side note there is a video on the Nintendo site for Metroid Prime:Hunters, its freakin awesome. buttrock.gif

+Quote Post
Dorian
post Oct 22 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #5

Local 804

Group: Associates
Member No.: 66

I aint big on hand held shit eaither. The way I see it, if I'm not home to use my consouls or PC, then I'm at work, drunk, stoned and/or driving around. It doesn't leave much time for Hand Helding it up. The only time I actually have ever picked up my game boy is when I gatta take a number 2 and I'm ganna be a while cause my moms cooking aint that great.

+Quote Post
unitself
post Oct 22 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #6

green and square

Member No.: 49

Dorian could not be more wrong.
Let's all throw rocks at him until he realizes his mistake.
Plus, he defouls his GBA by covering it in poo gas. How wrong is that?
Dorian, you should be ashamed!

I have already begun to save my cash for the DS.

The only thing I have a question about is the stylus and the role it plays in games. It's an awesome concept, sure, but I hope that every game doen't solely rely it on. I just can't see pointing at things of the screen with a pen to shoot at them. It just seems very odd to me. I say all this without ever seeing or playing on a DS, of course, except for seeing various demo movies. It might rock, I don't know. I just have a feeling that it'll be weird. but, nothing will stop me from getting my Animal Crossing DS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Retehi
post Oct 22 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #7

Show-off

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 10

I don't like handhelds much. I love my mouse and keyboard. beigelaugh.gif

I'd get it. . . if I got it as a christmas gift or something. *shrug*

--------------------

+Quote Post
DivA
post Oct 23 2004, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Deus-Ex MachinA

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 44

QUOTE (unitself @ Oct 22 2004, 04:06 PM)
Dorian could not be more wrong.
Let's all throw rocks at him until he realizes his mistake.
Plus, he defouls his GBA by covering it in poo gas. How wrong is that?
Dorian, you should be ashamed!

way too visual, scu.. ;p but as far as the DS is concerned, i gots mine on reserve - customer #62; once i learned of the future Phantasy Star Online DS, there was no question...but that is perhaps the only game i'm looking forward to - with exception to Animal Crossing, of course..

+Quote Post
unitself
post Oct 26 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #9

green and square

QUOTE (DivA @ Oct 23 2004, 06:03 AM)
but as far as the DS is concerned, i gots mine on reserve - customer #62; once i learned of the future Phantasy Star Online DS, there was no question...but that is perhaps the only game i'm looking forward to - with exception to Animal Crossing, of course..

shhhh!
Quiet DivA!
They'll start to think that you and I are the same person!!
beigelaugh.gif

I cannot wait to fish and collect bugs and do errands and write letters (properly this time) and send gifts and ... and ... AND >>> DNAD AN DNADADNA DND<A<>> *BANG!!*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Oct 26 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #10

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

I'll get a DS eventually.... But right now there's no games that warrant me making the purchase.

I got burned in the same way with GBA... At launch all I got was Super Mario Advance (which wasn't that great, I've played Mario 2 about a million times since it came out) Chu Chu Rocket (fun to have on the go, but played it a lot on DC), and Castlevania COTM (too damn dark!). Of course later on there were tons of great games on GBA that I got and enjoyed, but I could have probably waited and saved a few bucks on the system.

I love the WiFi, Internet, and Voice Chat capability of the DS, and the touch/stylus screen has a lot of possibilties as far as control schemes and menu functionality goes. One thing I don't hope for (but seems inevitable) is a bunch of rehash N64 titles.

On the horizon, the DS games I'm looking forward to are Wario Ware DS, Advance Wars DS, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing. And if Nintendo will finally take their heads out of their asses about online gaming... they will make this pokemon a MMO game that will own everyone like THEY COULD HAVE DONE FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Multi-Melta
post Oct 27 2004, 03:46 AM
Post #11

Frame

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 3

Just a related idea i had on the stylus for the DS.

Basically take the tip of the stylus and make some sort of fingertip attachment for the index finger or thumb and you would use your finger to write,
as of right now i think it would blow to be playing a game and then bam you gotta pick up the pen and type something then put it down and then adjust your hands back to the buttons. would make for some new style of gameplay or something.

Also i bet in a few years we're going get all crazy in the eyes and we'll be used to controlling/looking at two screens at once. like some crazy evolution brought on by double screened games. i dont know if anyone here has played mario saga for GBA but some of the parts in there has you controlling mario and luigi simultaneously and it's really fun and hard to get used to. so i bet the DS will be having more titles like so involving such craziness.

just some ideas, this has all probably been said and stated somewhere already, i haven't kept up much on the DS cause the GBA sp still owns.
every needs metroid fusion and zero mission!

also check my so so leet! ms paintbrush version of the stylus below!

user posted image

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Oct 27 2004, 04:06 AM
Post #12

There is actually a device similar to what you are talking about. It supposedly comes with Super Mario 64 DS, and it wraps around your thumb and lets you use the touch screen for analog control.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Oct 29 2004, 06:35 AM
Post #13

Guests

Some new screenshots of Super Mario 64 DS. I really can't wait for this game...and please, don't touch the fire-breathing Yoshi. Kthxbai

+Quote Post
unitself
post Nov 21 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #14

green and square

Weird the way that the DS came out today with NO fanfare what-so-ever. No TV commercials, no magazine ads... no nothing. I only noticed that it was out because of the circualrs in our sunday paper.
Maybe it's because they only have four games out on the release day.
I am guessing that Nintendo is advertise the hell out of this thing in the next few weeks. You know, after Thanksgiving shopping and all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Nov 21 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #15

Yeah, I'm sure people will be going nuts for this thing between thanksgiving and christmas.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:37 PM