Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Last Samurai
Crushinator
post Dec 6 2003, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

I just saw this film on Friday, and holeee cow, what an amazing movie!

The direction...the actors...the story...the music. God, this movie just came together in all the right ways, and the ending was truely moving. You actually got a feeling for how the traditional Japanese way of life slipped away with the Imperial move toward modernism in the Meiji era.

Of course the battles seem like the main attraction at first, and they don't disappoint. Its devoid of any of the wire-fu bullshit that plagues most movies nowadays, and is just pure Samurai-Calvarymen asskicking, simple and beautiful.

The true heart of the movie, however, is the story. Tom Cruise's character, haunted by his atrocities commited against Native Americans in his service in the US Army, becomes awakened, just like the audience, to the purity and discipline of the traditional Japanese lifestyle. Sent to the destroy the Samurai "Rebel Savages" he finds his peace, and true destiny as a warrior defending the Bushido, and the Samurai that protect it.

For me, this movie rang with the bittersweetness of "Glory" (also by the same director), and it is truely a man's movie, about coming to terms with your past, seeing your enemy eye-to-eye as an equal, and living with honor and discipline.

*SPOILER*

Oh hell yeah and there are NINJAS in it! I almost shit my pants when they flipped out, I never expected ninjas!

*/SPOILER*

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HC82
post Dec 6 2003, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 4

Glad you liked it. I'm are supposed to see this movie with cam, chim, kaz and another friend sometime during the coming week.

+Quote Post
Afroforce
post Dec 6 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #3

DAT ASS.

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 103

I was thinking of seeing it, now I KNOW I'm going to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Dec 6 2003, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Busy In Hell

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 51

I went to see it yesterday and it was excellent. It would have been better if this guy in the theater hadn't feel asleep and snored so loud during parts of the movie.

--------------------
user posted image
PSO BB:PSO BB Chars: Fred lv77 HUnewearl
Aquarius-X lv10 RAmarl
Watch DScc in action at DScc Vision Az

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Dec 6 2003, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Busy In Hell

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Crushinator @ Dec 6 2003, 07:07 PM)
The true heart of the movie, however, is the story.  Tom Cruise's character, haunted by his atrocities commited against Native Americans in his service in the US Army, becomes awakened, just like the audience, to the purity and discipline of the traditional Japanese lifestyle.  Sent to the destroy the Samurai "Rebel Savages" he finds his peace, and true destiny as a warrior defending the Bushido, and the Samurai that protect it.

For me, this movie rang with the bittersweetness of "Glory" (also by the same director), and it is truely a man's movie, about coming to terms with your past, seeing your enemy eye-to-eye as an equal, and living with honor and discipline.

You'd make a good film critic. I've already seen the movie and the way you worded that would make me want to go see it.

--------------------
user posted image
PSO BB:PSO BB Chars: Fred lv77 HUnewearl
Aquarius-X lv10 RAmarl
Watch DScc in action at DScc Vision Az

+Quote Post
Henge
post Dec 8 2003, 11:00 AM
Post #6

OpSec

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 2

dude i kind of doubted this movie at first. i didn't think tom cruise would make a very believable samurai, and i thought it would be done with more special effects, im glad to hear this isn't the case. but its by the director of glory? that is an awsome movie! now i have to see it for sure.

+Quote Post
Dive
post Dec 11 2003, 02:20 AM
Post #7

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

Excellent review Crush, you really summed it up quite well. This movie was badass, a little remenescent of Dances With Wolves in some parts, and Bravheart in a few battle scenes. Like Claymore said the director also did Glory, which is another great war film.

I would like to see a remake of Seven Samurai done with the production quality of this movie.

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Dec 16 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #8

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

I finally got to see it after such a long hard wait. I knew when i fisrt saw the preview this would be a great movie and I wanted to see it so bad! Finally i saw it tonight and man I wanna buy a samurai sword now. This movie was just like...im... Man... Im lost for words. I just loved it so much. Its my new number one movie. Cant wait for the DvD. I think im gonna go watch it again tomorrow.

That ninja scene was sick man. Exactly how I always pictured ninjas to be. To be bad the where owned.

One thing I really got a kick was in the last battle before it comenced The samurai leadre said to his men ,"well, seems like they wont surrender." haha I loved that. I think this is the firt time I almost cried at a movie since the Lion King.

I recommend all to go see this movie. over and over and over and over.... This movie----> guitarist.gif

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Massiah
post Jan 4 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #9

Massiah

Group: Associates
Member No.: 113

I was really impressed by this movie, some of the people I work with said it sucked that the final thing at the end, was too... short and if you've seen the movie then you might know what im talking about, but ya but I was really impressed I didnt think tom cruise would make a believeable sam either but he was excellent in that movie.

--------------------
Massiah : Galka : 40 Samurai /20 Monk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 08:39 AM