Reply to this topicStart new topic
Noob protips/guides, I can has them?
Crushinator
post Oct 1 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

Alright, so from what I'm hearing on skype from everyone playing the game, it doesn't really hold your hand when you start up the game.

What's the best stuff to do when you get started so i'm not wasting a lot of time dicking around? How do you jump into doing quests (leves?) and crafting stuff?

Where are all the moles at?

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Oct 1 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

Ul'dah is a good place to start. The city is small with everything you need right in a centralized location. You can can also access the other two starting areas easily with some walking.

If you run out of leves, head to another main city. But, be careful if you decide to fight monsters along the way. Killer run back if you die.

Make sure you touch any Aetheryte that is near by, so you can teleport/return to it if you need to.

Which category each area is on the teleport submenu can be confusing, since it is easy to miss the name of the actual area you are in:
La Noscea = Limsa Lominsa areas
Thanalan = Ul'dah areas
Black Shroud = Gridania areas

If you have been grinding for a while and all of sudden you are doing less damage, it means you need to repair you weapon.

If an enemy is doing a charge attack or something. Depending on the attack you can just run behind to avoid it, or run far away enough out of range.

Green on your stamina bar means your next attack readying. If it turns back to yellow, and you saw no attack. It means it failed or something went weird, or you got lag.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Oct 1 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #3

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

When doing crafting leaves always use all the material even if the first ones are a enough for a success or fail, cause you always get exp from making the items, the others are successes.

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Oct 1 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Soul Hunter

Member No.: 23

Do you have to buy bullshit maps like in 11? Are there any means of transportation? Is it a bad idea to start out as a crafting class?

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Oct 1 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #5

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

No need to buy maps, transportation is means of teleporting, but you have to visit each crystal before you can warp there (sorta like out post, minus the stupid delivery quest), and noot it isn't, but it is easier to pick the melee/mage class to start cause it is some what of a hassle finding the starting weapons (unless you're in Limsa), plus if you do leather working or any of the metal crafts, its easier to get materials, yes beating up on mobs is a better way of getting ores then mining.

+Quote Post
HC82
post Oct 1 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #6

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 4

There are two levels types, your physical level which is your character level, and then there is your job level. No matter how high your physical level, your job level directly affects how effective your physical level. So as you're boosting up your stats each physical level up, the job level has caps built in which impede your total performance.

Physical levels are still important, for obvious reasons because it essentially raises the bar of your character's total potential. Generally, if you level normally, you probably won't feel the job stat caps. Thats why someone who changes jobs to level 1, still gets owned by weaker mobs even if they have a high physical level.

The best way to level your physical level quickly, is to actually do all the trade skills up to level 5~7. The exp requirements to raise your trade skill levels is minimal and the exp gains are pretty massive. So your essentially gaining 1500 exp very quickly each item creation and leves give you free crafts.

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Oct 1 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Soul Hunter

QUOTE(HC82 @ Oct 1 2010, 08:49 PM) *
There are two levels types, your physical level which is your character level, and then there is your job level. No matter how high your physical level, your job level directly affects how effective your physical level. So as you're boosting up your stats each physical level up, the job level has caps built in which impede your total performance.

Physical levels are still important, for obvious reasons because it essentially raises the bar of your character's total potential. Generally, if you level normally, you probably won't feel the job stat caps. Thats why someone who changes jobs to level 1, still gets owned by weaker mobs even if they have a high physical level.

The best way to level your physical level quickly, is to actually do all the trade skills up to level 5~7. The exp requirements to raise your trade skill levels is minimal and the exp gains are pretty massive. So your essentially gaining 1500 exp very quickly each item creation and leves give you free crafts.

I think I understand.

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

+Quote Post
Afroforce
post Oct 1 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #8

DAT ASS.

Member No.: 103

Thanks for this.

Also...we use Skype as a means of guild communication? I use skype myself, so give me the info on that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Oct 3 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #9

Soul Hunter

Add your skype name man and one of us will add you to the never ending skype chatroom. From there you can add the rest of us.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Afroforce
post Oct 4 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #10

DAT ASS.

Member No.: 103

I just put it into my signature, I'm always on, so someone just add me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Oct 5 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #11

Soul Hunter

Okay can anyone tell me about this retainer shit? I made one, (picked a cat slave) but I don't know how the hell to access it or more importantly, how to effectively use it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oddies da Nerfed
post Oct 6 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #12

Pray for Mojo.

Member No.: 165

QUOTE(AC9breaker @ Oct 5 2010, 04:33 PM) *
Okay can anyone tell me about this retainer shit? I made one, (picked a cat slave) but I don't know how the hell to access it or more importantly, how to effectively use it.

This should hopefully cover enough on retainers.

Info on joining a person/party with already active leve. Joining an already active leve means you cannot participate (not sure if you can share once active), however, the mobs will not attack anyone but the person with the leve. This allows for a healer to spam heal and not worry about being attacked. No skill points are awarded to the healer, so it is purely a plvl option.

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Oct 6 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #13

Holding these random memories

Member No.: 8

Yeah that restriction on attacking the targets even after you've joined the party is fucking irritating. Basically if you get in over your head on a leve there's no way you can call in for help, even if people are willing. You're fucked out of it and have to cancel the attempt, wasting one of your leve slots for the day.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Oddies da Nerfed
post Oct 6 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #14

Pray for Mojo.

Member No.: 165

QUOTE(Crushinator @ Oct 6 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Yeah that restriction on attacking the targets even after you've joined the party is fucking irritating. Basically if you get in over your head on a leve there's no way you can call in for help, even if people are willing. You're fucked out of it and have to cancel the attempt, wasting one of your leve slots for the day.

This or hope you get a healer willing to help, since they can spam heal without being attacked. A design issue to be sure either way.

+Quote Post
tanshin
post Oct 8 2010, 09:00 AM
Post #15

Drunken Ninja Master Thug

Member No.: 80

I actually found out that people CAN jump in and help. When you join a party, you can go to the camp crystal and select it. When you do, it asks if you want to join the leve in progress. Are we some dumb ass ninjas or what?

--------------------

dueling, remade for modern audiences

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:16 AM