post Apr 30 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #1

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

IPB Image

I don't know how we missed this but, here we go

http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/0...r-moves-to-pcs/

One series that never quite caught on in America as it did in Japan is Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter has been pretty much a Playstation franchise, games have only been released for the PS2 (1, 2 and the expansion pack Monster Hunter G), PSP (Monster Hunter Freedom) and Monster Hunter 3 is scheduled for the PS3. Now Capcom is bringing the franchise to PCs with Monster Hunter Frontier. They are beginning a closed beta on January 25, 2007 for Windows PCs. The current specs require gamers to have Windows XP, a Pentium III processor 1 GHz or faster, 256 MB of RAM, a video card with 64MB of memory and at least 800 MB of hard drive space. While the console games have online and offline play, Monster Hunter Freedom is going to be online only. Hunters can group up with up to four other people to play the game. Compared to other MMOs Monster Hunter is limited, but it has a dedicated community similar to Phantasy Star Online. Capcom has not announced any fees for the game or a release outside of Japan at this point. Considering that Capcom is making their online network with Dwango called Daletto and Monster Hunter Frontier is spearheading the project there is a chance that Capcom might want to give the game as much exposure as possible by releasing it overseas.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AC9breaker
post Apr 30 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #2

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

Actually, that unicorn dood is Kirin. He appears in the first version of Monster Hunter; only as an online event. He's a pretty resilient guy and can kill you with one shot from his lightning attacks.

HC: Your totally right. Monster Hunter is much more scavenger based. Pretty much everything you'll want, rare weapons & armor, to quality healing products you will make yourself. I'm also assuming getting groups will be much easier compared to PSU. Its instance based just like PSU except all quests are joined/selected from only one area, the tavern. This is of course assuming they follow a similar format to the original Monster Hunter. 8 people could join the town area, but only 4 could go on a mission together. I'm guessing the towns would just be able to hold a ot more people for this version of MH, like MMO size proportions.

In any case, judging from the videos it seems like Frontier would be based on the the second series which was only released in JP. A feature thats in that has been implemented in Monster Hunter Dos, that has always intruiged me is PVP. Its seems pretty dope the way they set it up. Basically, you capture yourself one of the many wyverns you'll be pitted against in the game, then go to a stadium, and duel it out. Ala Pokemon style where you must defeat your opponents wyvern or have your wyvern defeat him.

Some videos.

PVP

Team PVP

I'm a bit skeptical on this seeing a US release. However Capcom is very unpredictable, they've proven this by voiding Resident Evil 4 Gamecube only, making Devil May Cry 4 multi-platform, dropping Clover studios, bringing the Phoenix Wright games to US shores, and a bunch of other stuff. One thing that can be predicted about Capcom, they have a good business sense and if there is money to be made they will surely jump on it. As it is, Monster Hunter Dos is pay to play in Japan, and I'm pretty sure Frontiers will be too. So who knows, its really anybody's guess. only if the $$$ is good.

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:36 AM