+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Feb 20 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #2

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

I will buy on launch.

Specs means good things for PC games down the line. Games that will be optimized to take better advantage of PC hardware. We can finally expect 64 bit executables in games for one. Another is games designed to actually use more than 2 CPU cores. In short, PC ports will look better and run smoother.

But yeah, PS4 will be amazing and can't wait to play games that are exclusive on it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oddies da Nerfed
post Feb 21 2013, 12:11 AM
Post #3

Pray for Mojo.

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 165

QUOTE(Scan_Man @ Feb 21 2013, 12:45 AM) *
I will buy on launch.

Specs means good things for PC games down the line. Games that will be optimized to take better advantage of PC hardware. We can finally expect 64 bit executables in games for one. Another is games designed to actually use more than 2 CPU cores. In short, PC ports will look better and run smoother.

But yeah, PS4 will be amazing and can't wait to play games that are exclusive on it.

Most of that could be avoided by designing games for superior pc hardware and downgrading as required for the consoles, not the reverse. That's why we end up with shit ass ports from lazy devs.
It is certainly nice to see console hardware kinda catching up so that PC games will not be held back so badly, but really the system is not "that" impressive, particularly with the issues AMD have been having with their hardware just not mathcing up to Nvidia and Intel these days.

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Feb 21 2013, 01:24 AM
Post #4

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

My desktop I built a year ago has the same if not better spec's, with ati hardware even. Don't get me wrong it is an improvement over the the current gen of consoles, but as a pc hobbyist I don't see me going with a ps4, hell my ps3 just gets used a blu ray player and sometimes for netflix.

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Feb 21 2013, 03:31 AM
Post #5

Grand Armor

The reason to buy PS4 is for the exclusives on the horizon, like The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Totally can't wait for those. . . .

I have a lot of thoughts on PS4, but I will reserve for Microsoft's announcement and E3 when we get to full list of games coming.

I am the same way, PC is my platform of choice, but I keep the consoles around for the exclusives. Not to mention I try to play every major release for the year if I can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Feb 22 2013, 12:06 PM
Post #6

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

I'm really impressed by Sony's approach to hardware this time around. I feel like they were really humbled by their haughty attitude with the PS3. After being the console leader for 2 generations, they fell into the same trap Nintendo did post-SNES, "we can do whatever the fuck we want, people will buy our console regardless". X86-based architecture, developer friendliness, 8 gigs of RAM to work with... we will see good things on this machine.

Sony's really stepping up embracing the streaming/game video community, and building that capability into the console itself. Some of the social gaming things seem a bit pie-in-the-sky, such as having your friends take control of your game while they watch your stream. If they can pull it off it will be amazing, but I'm still a bit skeptical of that feature.

One thing that worries me is that a lot of these great features will likely be behind a paywall of PSN+. I have no doubts that Sony will keep online play free, but I think the video sharing/streaming has to come at a cost and they sure as hell aren't going to eat all that bandwidth.

I would like to hear that EVERY retail release will also have a day and date digital release as well, if we can work towards wiping out physical media this gen it would be awesome.

I'm not disappointed that there is no real backwards compatiblity, I feel like BC is one of the most overhyped features of new consoles lately. If I'm buying a new console I don't want to play my old games. And especially because this console gen has dragged on so long, I really don't think there will be any relevant "overlap" releases, games that come out on PS3 exclusively after PS4 drops that are actually worth playing. Using Gaikai as a stopgap to play older games is an interesting move, but again I wonder what the pricing will be like for access to that service.

As for the games that were shown: Knack looks fun, kind of this lighthearted platformer game that we haven't really seen too much of this gen. Clearly a showcase for particle effects, and the character models finally do have that often-promised "pixar graphics in real time" that console manufacturers have been bullshitting about since the N64.

Killzone looks bland as fuck. Aside from the graphics it seemed identical to every other COD derivative shooter out now, I was genuinely bored for the duration of the demo.

Drive Club's graphics look amazing, and the social integration sounds neat. Kind of the evolution of Criterion's autolog from NFS Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit.

Watch_Dogs looks awesome, easily the game with the best demo. Its like a melding of Assassin's Creed and Sleeping Dogs, with the cool "world hacking" hook.

Diablo 3... who gives a shit. The game will be a year and a half old by the time it comes out this winter. To D3's credit the game is a lot more fun now with the current updates, and is in a place where it SHOULD have launched at, but the game is old news. It would have been far more interesting if Blizz confirmed a new IP for PS4. If they launch it with a D3 expansion pack though...

Destiny looks good, I'm excited for it but they really need to show more of what it's really about. It's going to be on everything anyways so its not like this is some kind of big catch.

QUOTE(Oddies da Nerfed @ Feb 20 2013, 11:11 PM) *
Most of that could be avoided by designing games for superior pc hardware and downgrading as required for the consoles, not the reverse. That's why we end up with shit ass ports from lazy devs.
It is certainly nice to see console hardware kinda catching up so that PC games will not be held back so badly, but really the system is not "that" impressive, particularly with the issues AMD have been having with their hardware just not mathcing up to Nvidia and Intel these days.

Yeah, but like it or not the console versions of games are the baseline for most developers these days. Having such powerful hardware in a console box is going to wonders for games across the board IMO. PC hardware will be king again within a year of the console launch, but the games graphics will keep pace for a while simply because the console release is the common denominator.

QUOTE(Scan_Man @ Feb 21 2013, 02:31 AM) *
The reason to buy PS4 is for the exclusives on the horizon, like The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Totally can't wait for those. . . .

I have a lot of thoughts on PS4, but I will reserve for Microsoft's announcement and E3 when we get to full list of games coming.

Can't tell if you're being facetious or not here... I was dissapointed that there was no mention of Ueda's team or TLG at the conference, if it doesn't show at E3 I think that project is dead as the dodo. Think about it... that studio has gone the entire PS3 generation without releasing a SINGLE new game. ICO/SOTC HD collection was the only peep of life we got out of them. Definitely worrisome.

FFv13 is even bigger vaporware. Shit, it was announced back in 2006 before the PS3 even launched. They might adapt some of the assets from that game into a new proper FF game (FF15 that was teased by SE after showing their tech demo?), but I will bet dollars to donuts that FFv13 never comes out.

I think MS will have a similar event in March or April to whet people's appetites before E3, but you're right we need to see some proper games before getting overhyped.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Feb 22 2013, 01:51 PM
Post #7

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Feb 22 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #8

Grand Armor

Yeah I was being facetious. Also kind of poking fun at myself because anticipation of those two games were the reason I purchased a PS3 initially. If by small chance those game were to eventually release I would be very skeptical in a Duke Nukem Forever kind of way.

I do like backwards compatibility because I store my old consoles away, but keep all my games on a shelf nearby. I do go back and play older games, often times on a whim. Was playing some PSO ver 2 two months ago hahaha. It would cost too much to have it in, but man it would of been nice. I try to play most of the major releases for a given year and things tend to get backlogged due to limited time. There are still quite a few PS3 games I will be checking out this year. It's a convenience thing for me. Having to dig out PS2 when I really want to play a game is annoying. But it's kick ass I can load up Symphony of the Night on my PS3, you know.

E3 will be huge! This holiday will be huge! Even though the Wii U is shit, it will have Mario Kart this holiday and whatever the fuck else, and likely be the cheapest console option. It's going to be a fight for your dollars this Christmas that's for sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:18 AM