IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Videogame graphics, Do they color your decisions?
unitself
post Jan 2 2005, 01:59 PM
Post #1

green and square

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 49

Do you choose to buy or not buy a certain game because of the graphics?
For example, did the anime look of Tales of Symphonia turn you off, even though you love turn based rpgs or did you buy it simply because it looked a certain way even if rpgs aren't really your thing? Alot of people say that games today are all visual flash and lack the core gameplay that games did years ago. Do you feel the same way? Does Pong have it all over FFXI?

Me?
Yes, graphics make a difference as well as character design.
I cannot stand Disney characters and so I will not be playing any Kindom Hearts games even though I know they are good games (or so I have heard). I have also heard really good things about Beyond Good and Evil, but I just can't get past the goofy look (not to mention the pig bugs me). On the other side, I did buy Tales of Symphonia because I really liked the look. Also, if a game has some sort of robot as the main character, I will automatically be interested in it, regardless of actual game play. Who was my first PSO character type? A HUcast, of course. beigelaugh.gif

Anyway, what are your feelings about graphics and character design?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkEpyon
post Jan 2 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Revolution to the Destruction

Member No.: 21

Graphics do play a part in my game buying decisions, but they aren't everything. There are games that are pure eye candy, but completely lack substance. On the flipside there are games that aren't on par graphically with other games of the time and absolutely rock.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Retehi
post Jan 2 2005, 03:38 PM
Post #3

Show-off

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 10

Simply put, no.

Because yes indeed, Pong > FFXI.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riel
post Jan 2 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Guardian Armor

Member No.: 14

Sometimes graphics make or break a game for me...i had no problems with the "cuter" graphics of ToS for instance but i never finished Wind Waker for example because the graphics although nice,disappointed me in a way...

Anothe good example would be the last Tenchu on XBox,it came out around the same time as Ninja Gaiden so the graphics in Tenchu looked really,really bad compared to NG and i couldn't play the game,even though the gameplay of Tenchu is said to be very good,and it flopped because of this i'm sure.

--------------------
============================

+Quote Post
HC82
post Jan 2 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #5

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Member No.: 4

For me, it's about style and not so much about the quality of the graphics. I passed on Tales because of it's cutesy look. Anime styling doesn't bug me, but I'm kinda sick and tired of teenage anime heroes with a "kawaii" anime look. I've got no problem with an anime character that is a teenager, but only if the styling is too cute.

Graphics do matter, depending on the game. I expect them to be at a certain grade quality. Style is most important. It gives the game life and defines its texture.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Jan 3 2005, 06:51 AM
Post #6

Guests

Although Pong does own FFXI, I would have to say the graphics of games effect my decision a little bit. I would probably play a game if I liked the gameplay but the graphics wern't that great. A good example are all the Metroid games for Game Boy. Just because the graphics are bad doesn't mean that the game sucks. Games can have good graphics and still suck if you don't like playing them.

+Quote Post
Henge
post Jan 3 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #7

OpSec

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Zio @ Jan 3 2005, 06:51 AM)
Although Pong does own FFXI,

i dont think scu's intent was to turn this topic into Pong VS. FFXI, that being said, if you plan on being a supportive member of this community, you really shouldn't insult any front that AT has endevors on.

on topic:

i feel the same way as you do SCU, especially about kingdom hearts, i will never play it because of its styling even though people love it. i also share in HC's feelings in that i dislike "cutsie" games/anime, its a major deterant for me when determining if i shall play/watch a given piece of material.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Jan 3 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (Sgt. Retehi @ Jan 2 2005, 03:38 PM)
Simply put, no.

Because yes indeed, Pong > FFXI.

QUOTE (Zio @ Jan 3 2005, 06:51 AM)
Although Pong does own FFXI,

QUOTE (Woe)

i dont think scu's intent was to turn this topic into Pong VS. FFXI, that being said, if you plan on being a supportive member of this community, you really shouldn't insult any front that AT has endevors on.

I was really only kidding anyway and I'm sure Retehi was too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:24 PM