Reply to this topicStart new topic
Star Wars: The Old Republic, MMOs meet Lightsabers & creet deepz
HC82
post Apr 30 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #1

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 4

I didn't notice anything in the forums about this recently, but bioware's new Star Wars MMO is slated to be released sometime this year in 2011.

Main site:
http://www.swtor.com/

Cinematic trailer:
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/hope-c...railer#comments

Hungry Star Wars nerds:
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/pax-ea...highlight-video
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post May 1 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

I'm not a huge SW fan, but I like bioware style RPGs so I'll give this a shot.

I like the looks of the republic commando class.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
HC82
post Jun 11 2011, 10:45 AM
Post #3

Gameplay vid from E3

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jun 11 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #4

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

I like how they are handling dialogue choices if you are in a group. That was the one thing I was concerned with. I thought this game would be mostly a single player questing experiencing, with the dialogue choices made by group leader. But, they are using a roll system. I like the way they described it, saying it is similar to pen and paper RPGs where you might have a friend roll playing an asshole character and decides to be a jerk by killing an NPC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tanshin
post Jun 14 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #5

Drunken Ninja Master Thug

Member No.: 80

QUOTE(Scan_Man @ Jun 11 2011, 02:58 PM) *
I like how they are handling dialogue choices if you are in a group. That was the one thing I was concerned with. I thought this game would be mostly a single player questing experiencing, with the dialogue choices made by group leader. But, they are using a roll system. I like the way they described it, saying it is similar to pen and paper RPGs where you might have a friend roll playing an asshole character and decides to be a jerk by killing an NPC.

Yeah, its pretty cool how you can still get light side points for your own personal decision. So you could potentially partner up with someone on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, role playing-wise and there would still be little conflict in the ability to play together. It was kind of funny to watch that conversation though, how the girl's responses were so caring, like "You will not die today." And then suddenly the darth maul dude just whacks him with the light saber. Haha.

--------------------

dueling, remade for modern audiences

+Quote Post
HC82
post Jun 14 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #6

It's a full timeline of the Star Wars Lore, via storybook style FMV on the official SW:TOR website. I can't embedd it, because it's a sliding timescale and each timeframe shows a different FMV. I will provide the link instead. It's definately worth the watch if you're not familiar with the non-movie star wars lore.

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/timeline

+Quote Post
HC82
post Jul 22 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Pre-order for SWTOR is now avaliable.

You can opt for the collectors edition. If you get the physical collectors edition (disc and all) it comes with:

Pre-Order Exclusive:
Early Game access (Play the game before the actual release date. Pay to be a Beta tester, lol)
Color Stone (virtual item) (changes your light saber or blaster color)

30 Days Game Time included

Limited Collector's Edition Includes:
Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
Game disks collectible metal case
The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural as annotated by Satele Shan
The Old Republic galaxy map
Custom Security Authentication Key
Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
High-quality Collector's Edition box

Includes 7 Additional Digital Items:
Flare Gun
Training Droid
HoloDancer
HoloCam
STAP
Exclusive Mouse Droid
Exclusive Collector's Edition Store

Altogether its about 150 buck. The digital edition includes all the ingame goodies, minus the tangible bonuses. It's 75 bucks. The Pre-orders for The Collectors Edition are already sold out for the physical copy on EAs official website. I am sure other retailers still have it in stock.

Here is the link to show what the ingame goodies are: http://www.swtor.com/preorder

I pre-ordered already. Oddly enough, there is no release date, but people are expecting a Sept or Oct release.

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Jul 23 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #8

150 bucks? Eat a dick, Lucas.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Jul 23 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #9

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

You mean EA, Lucas didn't have anything to do with it, besides the statue alone with 50 to 60 bucks. beats the the tiny spartan helm you can't wear with the legendary halo's

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Jul 24 2011, 01:41 AM
Post #10

I think the Halo legendary editions are just as stupid. Maybe if you're the type to spend 60 bucks on a statue of something this is a good deal, but it just seems like an excessive cash in to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jul 24 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #11

Grand Armor

Not to mention 60 bucks for an unproven MMO game. EA try to pull some weird shit for their digital pre-sale. Put up warning that their are limited quantities. Really? On a digital distribution service? What are they trying to pull?

--------------------

+Quote Post
HC82
post Jul 24 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #12

Here is the Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue. Really, it's for the fans of starwars and we all know they will pay 150 bucks for a CE. The statues run about 60 bucks, so if you factor in everything it's about right. Hence the reason it sold out. I don't trust EA with most anything they do, so I am sure they intentionally sold-out their products for the purpose of creating more hype. The retailers have way more in stock. I don't see how the digital CE version can be limited quantities either, when it's FUCKING digital. EA is pulling some shit, where you might not be guaranteed an early play-through period on the CE purchases and the normal purchase. If it's digital, there in theory can be no limitation of product. Moral of the story, just buy the regular edition, unless you're into collectibles.

I'd rather have the Shae bust in the CE edition, but that's just me:

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Jul 25 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #13

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

I think its limited due to not wanting their servers crashing, etc, due to load issues from downloads, look at recent mmo's such as Rift and it's issues. This is their first mmo, so I can see the caution with digital preorders. Also they could be throwing a bone to the retail outlets.

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Jul 26 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #14

Grand Armor

Comic Con panel. Seems they are banking on the game being more of a multiple playthrough type of MMO (rerolling alts); as in creating new characters to experience the other classes/storylines or play again with same class to make a different choice. Rather than focusing solely on endgame content. Seems quite ambitions, not to mention when you add in its fully voiced acted. If it is actually hundreds of hours per class that is unique as promised I'm down. Lots of content is always good. But, I want to hear more about actual multiplayer content of the game instead of adding additional players (grouping) to what is basically a single player experience.

Hope they don't have the same issue as Galaxy with large planets. The problem with that game was the huge planets had very little content outside the city hubs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Nov 25 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #15

Grand Armor

This game is fucking amazing! Looks like I will be playing this and WoW for the time being.

Only bad part is the races sucks ass. In The Old Republic it's like "here is a human with horns, ohhhh here's another human with tentacles." In WoW each race has it's own identity which enhances the social aspect and banter of the game ( For the Horde/Alliance, or Gnomes deserves to be punted like footballs, Blood Elves are fairies). Not to mention in WoW you know you are looking at a freakin Orc or Tauran, and the armors fit each race. Here I can see everyone looking to same. Unless they really flesh out the social, specialty, and light side/dark side items.

Will this beat WoW? It potentially can. Really comes down to what endgame is looks like. As far as level-up content goes, this game is everything WoW is and better (Dat Bioware!). Coming from someone that can't stand level-up content (I'm a raider) this stuff is pretty fun. And it's mostly due to the fact you have dialogue choices, optional objectives, and the choice of light side or dark side outcomes. Not only that but combat is fluid, the sound is great, and the animations are top notch. I can just quest and kill things where I am not even looking at my exp bar or quest log to see how many of "X" have I killed.

Sad I only get to play for this weekend and have to wait until mid December to play again.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:37 AM