Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wow for WoW, Crazy sales figures
DarkEpyon
post Nov 25 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Revolution to the Destruction

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 21

IRVINE, Calif. - November 24, 2004 - Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft® has become an instant success, achieving epic sales figures in less than 24 hours. Launched Tuesday, November 23rd, the company's subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) sold-through to consumers an estimated 250,000* copies of the game. At retailers across the country, players lined up for blocks at midnight to purchase the game, which sold out in many stores nationwide after only one day on store shelves.

In just the first day alone, over 200,000 players created World of Warcraft accounts, and over 100,000 were already playing the game concurrently as of 5:00 p.m. PST on Tuesday. The account-creation and concurrent-user populations are both record numbers for a MMORPG on its first day of launch, making World of Warcraft the fastest-growing online game in history. World of Warcraft is expected to continue to shatter records and achieve a record-setting week-one population in the days ahead. With dozens of World of Warcraft servers already filled to capacity, Blizzard is deploying additional servers rapidly to match the growing player base.

"We had a lot of confidence in World of Warcraft, but the success on day one far exceeded our expectations," said Mike Morhaime, president of Blizzard Entertainment. "We are extremely happy that players are enjoying our game, and we are doing everything we can to meet the demand and maintain a fun and smooth game experience for everyone playing."

Retailers across North America, including Wal-Mart, EB, GameStop, and others are reporting that hundreds of their stores have sold out of World of Warcraft due to the demand. If consumers have not yet purchased their copy of World of Warcraft, they are advised to call ahead to make sure their store has copies still in stock.

"World of Warcraft has once again shown that Blizzard consistently delivers the best games in the industry," said Robert McKenzie, vice president of merchandising at GameStop. "It sold better than any other PC game this year - in fact, World of Warcraft enjoyed the best day-one sell-through GameStop has ever seen on a PC title!"

Blizzard Entertainment and its retail partners are expecting all remaining supplies of World of Warcraft to sell out soon. Meanwhile, the company is working diligently to increase server capacity to accommodate the growing number of players connecting to the game. As the additional servers are brought online and proven stable, additional copies of World of Warcraft will be made available at retail. Blizzard will announce the availability of those additional games as soon as they are on retail shelves.

Taken from Allakhazam.

Go Blizzard! Looks like they've hit mega paydirt. This should be enough to turn the heads of SOE and Squeenix no doubt.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oddies da Nerfed
post Nov 26 2004, 01:08 AM
Post #2

Pray for Mojo.

Member No.: 165

Having a big opening day dosent mean shit if the game cant retain the numbers. If WoW has the lasting power is yet to be seen. Since the bnet kiddie hacker tards were running rampent in the betas. I am going to guess they will have a large impact on people staying aboard. All the games blizz has released online have suffered severly from the fucktard problem. Since PvP is built largely into WoW (even on blue servers) it will be interesting to see how the griefing/corpse camping/fuck others over in any way possible because you are a retard, kinda things impact people after the "newness" wears off.

note: This isnt a bash on the game/blizz, i really enjoy their games and hope WoW does well. But after playing a large selection of MMOs and seeing people all hyped because they launch big then bomb after 6-9 months. One gets to be a little wary, even from someone like blizz. If blizz takes the usual "too godamn long till patch" routine and the pvp suffers from major grief problems. This game will suffer badly. CoH has already proven its worth for people to turn to. As well as EQ2 will be trying to show its not a giant steaming pile of shit as well. Time will tell how these go, but i have some concerns about WoW that have been a plauge for past blizz games.

+Quote Post
SaitoH
post Nov 26 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Introspection

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 111

QUOTE (Oddies da Nerfed @ Nov 26 2004, 01:08 AM)
Having a big opening day dosent mean shit if the game cant retain the numbers. If WoW has the lasting power is yet to be seen. Since the bnet kiddie hacker tards were running rampent in the betas. I am going to guess they will have a large impact on people staying aboard. All the games blizz has released online have suffered severly from the fucktard problem. Since PvP is built largely into WoW (even on blue servers) it will be interesting to see how the griefing/corpse camping/fuck others over in any way possible because you are a retard, kinda things impact people after the "newness" wears off.

note: This isnt a bash on the game/blizz, i really enjoy their games and hope WoW does well. But after playing a large selection of MMOs and seeing people all hyped because they launch big then bomb after 6-9 months. One gets to be a little wary, even from someone like blizz. If blizz takes the usual "too godamn long till patch" routine and the pvp suffers from major grief problems. This game will suffer badly. CoH has already proven its worth for people to turn to. As well as EQ2 will be trying to show its not a giant steaming pile of shit as well. Time will tell how these go, but i have some concerns about WoW that have been a plauge for past blizz games.

So much anger ...

Anger leads to hate,
hate leads to suffering.

Seriously though, time will tell. At least it's lotsa fun right now.

^w^

--------------------
Aviendha: Human Rogue
Casca: Human Warrior
Elmindreda: Elf Priest
Rottenfilet: Undead Warlock

+Quote Post
Dive
post Nov 26 2004, 10:00 AM
Post #4

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

I agree with SaitoH, so maybe the world will be eaten by Galactus sometime in the future, the fun is to be had right now. I cannot worry about future events.

+Quote Post
Ellianna
post Nov 26 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #5

Solid Frame

Member No.: 125

mine mine mine! had to get it, the urge got me. if anyone decides to play and wants to say hi i'm on the Gilneas server east coast ;) Name Ellianna of course

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mute
post Nov 27 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #6

Sunbro

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Ellianna @ Nov 26 2004, 10:40 PM)
mine mine mine! had to get it, the urge got me. if anyone decides to play and wants to say hi i'm on the Gilneas server east coast ;) Name Ellianna of course

Gotta get on Stormrage.
:D

--------------------
PSN ID: USF_Tailgater
Xbox Live: USF Tailgater

+Quote Post
Ellianna
post Nov 27 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #7

Solid Frame

noooo *pouts* come over heeeere ;/ i have a friend over here hm >.> maybe i can get him to switch servers >:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ellianna
post Nov 28 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #8

Solid Frame

not going to be able to switch :/ cant transfer character, i'd have to start completely over

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkEpyon
post Nov 28 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #9

Revolution to the Destruction

Member No.: 21

Hey, at least levelling isn't anywhere near as murderous as FFXI.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Nov 28 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #10

Busy In Hell

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 51

I'm starting to feel somewhat interested in trying this out. Only problem is I'm still enjoying FFXI somewhat and It would have to be one or the other for me. cry2.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PSO BB:PSO BB Chars: Fred lv77 HUnewearl
Aquarius-X lv10 RAmarl
Watch DScc in action at DScc Vision Az

+Quote Post
Ellianna
post Nov 29 2004, 06:15 AM
Post #11

Solid Frame

how busy is stormrage, i was looking for it on the server list and didnt see it anywhere. thought about starting a character over there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mute
post Nov 29 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #12

Sunbro

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Ellianna @ Nov 29 2004, 08:15 AM)
how busy is stormrage, i was looking for it on the server list and didnt see it anywhere. thought about starting a character over there.

Unforunately, we are located on what seems to be the most populated PvE server on the Eastern tab (and possibly anywhere). I've been stuck in queues a couple times waiting to get logged in and that is really no fun. I suppose we should've jumped on a server with a less "cool" name but oh well, what's done is done. Though, perhaps things will begin to get better as some players flock over to the new servers that were just put up.

--------------------
PSN ID: USF_Tailgater
Xbox Live: USF Tailgater

+Quote Post
Dive
post Nov 29 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #13

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

I agree that Stormrage is pretty crowded, but aside from the queue, having a lot of people around is a good thing. Bryn and I have characters on Hellscream as well, due to Stormrage being down a few times last weekend, and it was pretty desolate. The beauty of this game however, is the fact that you can have characters on many servers, and it feels like a different game when you go from Humans in Azeroth to Tauren in Kalimdor. You need to break free of the FFXI mindset, where it was only viable to have one main character.

You may as well at least make a character on Stormrage. Try a different race/class, I bet you would find it interesting.

+Quote Post
Sheik
post Nov 29 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #14

☆タルタル、かわいい☆

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 33

both of my brothers are on the BoneChew server I believe...if anyone is interested.
They are on a P vs P server in the Pacific area.

The game looks cool, the graphics and game play are cool.
This is more simple than FFXI in general I take it.
I may not get into this game because of so many other things going on and school...also I am playing around with FFXI...I am sooo late, I got on the FFXI game after everyone else...just like PSO...hahahaha.

Anyway, this game really rocks!

at-emote1.gif~☆

--------------------
Level
+ neola - Lv109 HUcaseal - Oran
+ Sheik - Lv056 FOnewearl - Viridia
Challenge
+ neola* - HUcaseal - Whitill
+ kali* - FOnewearl - Whitill
+ neola** - HUcast - Green

+Quote Post
Ellianna
post Nov 29 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #15

Solid Frame

finally found the server hehe i made Ellianna on there as well but i've put a lot of work on my char on gilneas server but we'll see, thing i love is that i havent had to go out and kill to catch up to be able to do more quests and i'm at lvl 12, i've just been doing quest after quest.

what are your char names on stormrage so i can look for you guys.

also..gilneas is a low population server it's very nice

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:21 AM