Reply to this topicStart new topic
GameCube Keyboard Options
Oneida
post May 26 2003, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Returned from the early days of AT

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 39

Allright folks, I was recently going over my PSO equipment list (with great anticipation for my BBA's arrival tomorrow *knocks on wood*) and I noticed one main piece of equipment missing: a keyboard!

Since it is painfully known that US users have been left in the dust in this area, what are my keyboard options? (preferably ones I can get soon, b/c I'm waaaaaay to used to using the keyboard from my Dreamcast PSO)

--------------------
Current GC Characters:

Amiens lvl. 51 FOmar
Zefira Wolfe lvl. 8 RAmarl
Oneida lvl. 5 HUnewearl

DC Characters:

Oneida lvl. 175 FOmarl
Layla lvl. 81 HUnewearl
Falstaff lvl. 62 RAmar
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Layrinn
post May 26 2003, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Grand Armor

Group: Associates
Member No.: 15

Well, the only "official" solution is the keyboard/controller combo made by ASCII sold in the japanese market. You can import one, but they typically cost around $70 plus shipping.

Then there's the not-so-official, not-so-good Datel keyboard. It is produced in the UK, and is also only available by ording it online from their website. This keyboard reportedly has several problems including "sticky" keys, laggy response, and mis-mapped keys. It sells for $20 plus shipping.

There are several keyboard adapters on the market, and this is where I think you'll find your best bet. (Ok, maybe I'm a little biased here. ;p)

The one I developed is notoriously hard to find simply because I don't feel like spending all of my free time assembling the things. beigelaugh.gif But I always have and always will be willing to provide them to AT members. Check out this thread for details on the latest revision. $25 gets you one assembled, tested, and shipped anywhere in the US. You have to provide your own PC keyboard to use with it.

There are at least one or two other adapters available from major maunfacturers for around $20 plus shipping. I don't have any experience with them, though. There is also another independant-made adapter available from www.indiglo.net

+Quote Post
Mute
post May 27 2003, 08:44 AM
Post #3

Sunbro

Member No.: 25

And if I might add... 'Rinn's keyboard adapters are top notch quality. Plus they work just fine with the $10 Micro Innovations keyboard from Wal Mart. I may sound a bit biased too but, unless you wanna fork over big loot for the ASCII keyboard, get one of 'Rinn's adapters. You won't be disappointed. ;-)

--------------------
PSN ID: USF_Tailgater
Xbox Live: USF Tailgater

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post May 27 2003, 09:12 AM
Post #4

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

unless you wanna fork over big loot for the ASCII keyboard, get one of 'Rinn's adapters. You won't be disappointed. ;-)

Not only that but the waiting period is extremily long. I ordered my (ASCii) kb like a month ago, stll not here. mog.gif

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Oneida
post May 27 2003, 09:26 AM
Post #5

Already ordered an adapter from 'Rinn =)

Now to call the Brits and cancel my order with them...

--------------------
Current GC Characters:

Amiens lvl. 51 FOmar
Oneida lvl. 5 HUnewearl

DC Characters:

Oneida lvl. 175 FOmarl
Layla lvl. 81 HUnewearl
Falstaff lvl. 62 RAmar

+Quote Post
Sheik
post May 27 2003, 12:42 PM
Post #6

☆タルタル、かわいい☆

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 33

Just for everyone's info, me and a friend assemble the adapters that have been know as "indiglo.net" adapters. Designed independently by me with a few tips from 'Rinn. The adapter that 'Rinn sells has a few features that mine lacks, but my idea was to get an adapter solution out available to help meet the demand at the time. I still have boards for about 150 of them that I need to sell though, and they are going slowly off eBay.

I have added the feature in lately that uses the "scroll lock" key to change between US and JP mode on the fly, and plan to eventually add the other 3 region layouts in when time permits for me to up date my code and spend some time figuring them out.

Anyways, not to complete with 'Rinn's design, mine is on EBay, but you will get one cheaper from him for $25 verses what ours is listed as a buy-it-now for #29.99.

Having said that I am sure you will enjoy what ever option that you go with. I personally also have a ASCII keyboard, but I do not use it as I prefer using my wireless Logitech keyboard..hehe.

You will be thankful once you get your keyboard...will not know how you lived with out it. beigelaugh.gif

--------------------
Level
+ neola - Lv109 HUcaseal - Oran
+ Sheik - Lv056 FOnewearl - Viridia
Challenge
+ neola* - HUcaseal - Whitill
+ kali* - FOnewearl - Whitill
+ neola** - HUcast - Green

+Quote Post
Layrinn
post May 27 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #7

Grand Armor

Group: Associates
Member No.: 15

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. =) I'm glad you're all happy with them.

QUOTE (Oneida @ May 27 2003, 11:26 AM)
Already ordered an adapter from 'Rinn =)

Now to call the Brits and cancel my order with them...

Oneida, your's is on the way today as promised. =)

AC9, if you ever get tired of waiting (or you want to save some money ;p) then lemme know. ;)

+Quote Post
DarkEpyon
post May 27 2003, 01:25 PM
Post #8

Revolution to the Destruction

Member No.: 21

At the time I imported in September, the ASCII one was my only option. The keys are smaller than a standard keyboard, but after 8 months with it, one can't help but to get used to it. At least if it ever shits the bed (like I thought it did a couple months ago) I know who to call for another keyboard.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Oneida
post May 27 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Layrinn @ May 27 2003, 03:20 PM)
Oneida, your's is on the way today as promised. =)

Thank you so much!

Today I got my BBA via UPS, but unfortunately there's some incomptibility somewhere between my campus's MAC filtering network and PSO. I registered the GC's MAC adress on the network and everything, but it still won't work, so I'm currently rigging up my own custom PSO DHCP server to handle this little crisis... hope it works *crosses fingers*

--------------------
Current GC Characters:

Amiens lvl. 51 FOmar
Oneida lvl. 5 HUnewearl

DC Characters:

Oneida lvl. 175 FOmarl
Layla lvl. 81 HUnewearl
Falstaff lvl. 62 RAmar

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:58 PM