Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sim City
Scan_Man
post Mar 8 2013, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

Maaaan EA you blew it big time here. Did you not learn from Diablo 3 launch?

Anyway this game is excellent, if you manage to play it. But there are so many servers problems because EA decided to make a single player game online only. I have not been able to play it since launch because servers are busy. Hell, they are so incompetent that at one point they had the busy servers labeled as available and the available servers labeled as busy. And I've had the servers log me off only to try to come back with 30 minute waiting queues. Problem is if you pick another server your city is not there. Hell, I've had cities roll back or be completely erased when I came back to a server. It's very annoying. Yesterday, EA actually removed features from the game because they were causing server instability. What the fuck?

Say what you will about the Diablo 3 launch. Nothing competes with this failure.

But yeah the game is awesome and very deep despite the city size is a lot smaller to past games. But there is a lot more "simulation" to this game than past games though. I like that you now have to gather and manage resources, or import them. People are giving this game a lot of shit on the gameplay side of things, and they are wrong. I understand the city size thing, but I don't think people have played the game long enough to understand the mechanics inside and out. Sim City 4, considered the best in the franchise (which I agree), had 10 years to develop through patches, an expansion, and mods. In this new one, there is a lot more shit you have to pay attention to or it will just domino into a complete disaster right before your eyes. It's really neat and at the same time while makes the game more challenging than Sim City 4.

Like I tried to get away with not building a police station at the start (in Sim City 4 you can wait quite a while before crime levels get to a point where you need police). Well I had criminals coming over from a neighboring city taking advantage that I did not have police. The game is very sensitiveness to these types of things. To add to that, not only is there a lot more money sinks, but building things seems more expensive compared to Sim City 4. To add insult to injury I had a Zombie infestation, which lost 80 percent of my population because I had no money to defend my city. And this is neat too because you can zoom in and follow Sims and it was cool to see them fighting Zombies and hearing gun fire going off in the streets with some people running for their lives and others defending their homes.

It's moments like above that really suck you into this game.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
HC82
post Mar 10 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #2

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 4

I picked up this game Yesterday and me and Kaz played for about 6 to 7 hours straight in a private room. We played on North America east 3 with no servers issues what so ever. I don't see what all the complaints are about; this game is fantastic.

Edit: Just sat down with this game again and I literally sat there for like 7 hours straight and played this again. Once you get the hang of things (developing a specific thriving industry to rake in big cash) you begin to see how things actually open up and how multiplayer is necessary to make the best cities and make the most cash. The Great Works in each areas are necessary for the communal area to really expand and increase their cities. This game has so much replay value its kind if twisted.

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Mar 11 2013, 01:34 PM
Post #3

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

Been moving this week so I had to put off buying this, but I'm really looking forward to playing in some big mega-AT region with you guys.

The launch does sound like the biggest clusterfuck of the century, but hopefully by Friday when we get the internet hooked up it will be smoother sailing. Save a spot for me in the apocalypse-topia!

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Kazicht
post Mar 11 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #4

System Id

Member No.: 45

Even with the messy launch this game is already in contention for GOTY for me. Game of the fucking year.

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Mar 11 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #5

Grand Armor

QUOTE(Kazicht @ Mar 11 2013, 06:40 PM) *
Even with the messy launch this game is already in contention for GOTY for me. Game of the fucking year.

Definitely agree. When ever I start playing the game for a session, time just flies and I look at the clock and I'm like "Holy shit I just played this for 10 hours." The game is crazy addictive. Hope we get Cheetah speed back soon!

It has a ton of popularity on twitch.tv right now too. Not only is it fun to play for hours, but fun to watch others play for hours too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Mar 12 2013, 03:01 AM
Post #6

Soul Hunter

Member No.: 23

What the fuck, a new sim city came out? Where the fuck have I been?

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Mar 16 2013, 09:52 AM
Post #7

This game is fucking fantastic. Got sucked in and played until after 3 am without even realizing it last night, hahah.

It really strikes a great balance between the depth of the simulation, and providing enough visual information to let you know exactly what's going on in the city without being overwhelming. The limitation on the space along with the specializations really makes you have to focus on a certain type of city. (Not to say I still don't think there should be an option to build in the entire region, "classic" simcity style)

The multiplayer is great too, when we're all working on our cities simultaneously. The servers were all packed when I finally got on so we've started a new region on the Antarctica server named "Apocalypso".

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Mar 18 2013, 05:39 AM
Post #8

Soul Hunter

Member No.: 23

Im not gonna lie, game is really good, especially all of us playing together. Crushin was helping me out taking out my trash.

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Mar 18 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #9

Yeah and now my dump is full of your city's dirty diapers and i have a hobo outbreak!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kazicht
post Mar 18 2013, 05:56 PM
Post #10

System Id

Everyone who registered SC before the 25th gets a free game off Origin. Choices aren't too shabby either:

Battlefield 3
Mass Effect 3
Dead Space 3
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Medel of Honor: Warfighter
Sim City 4 Deluxe

And...

Bejeweled 3
Plants Vs Zombies.

It's gonna be either BF3, DS3 or NFS for me... hmmmmm.

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Mar 18 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #11

If we all get NFS:MW it would be pretty fun to play online. But DS3 is a good choice too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oddies da Nerfed
post Mar 20 2013, 08:01 AM
Post #12

Pray for Mojo.

Member No.: 165

The more I play and learn the mechanics under the hood, the more I realize this is a city variant of farmville with a pretty face. Ignorance is bliss with this game, the less you under stand it the more fun it is. Sadly I have seen just how absurdly broken the core of the game is, I am getting to the point where I find this game more of a disappointing failure than Diablo 3.

+Quote Post
Kazicht
post Mar 20 2013, 05:16 PM
Post #13

System Id

QUOTE(Oddies da Nerfed @ Mar 20 2013, 08:01 AM) *
The more I play and learn the mechanics under the hood, the more I realize this is a city variant of farmville with a pretty face. Ignorance is bliss with this game, the less you under stand it the more fun it is. Sadly I have seen just how absurdly broken the core of the game is, I am getting to the point where I find this game more of a disappointing failure than Diablo 3.

Sure, but haven't we learned in the last few years that pretty much every game is just a shiny vairant of Farmville?

+Quote Post
HC82
post Mar 20 2013, 08:04 PM
Post #14

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Member No.: 4

The game is definitely more clever then farmville; although, the game does have its "builds" which are more favorable then others. From a pure variation standpoint, the game has many variations, but from a min-max standpoint, the game becomes more rigid, especially with the current glitches.

+Quote Post
Scan_Man
post Mar 21 2013, 01:59 AM
Post #15

Grand Armor

My main problem as of late is the city size and removed/disabled features. I built a city, I ran out of room and had no trouble making money. It was just nothing left to spend anything on. There was nothing to do. The leaderboard is not working, so there is no reason to make myself look good there. So I figure I find a place to participate in the 2 million sims challenge. Well that does not seem to be tracking properly, so can't do that either. Finally, I start a new city and then get frustrated at no Cheetah speed. I don't mind not having it so much when I have a well developed city. But it's a bit wretched at the start not having it.

I really want to play this game. But every time I load up, I close it after 10 minutes and say to myself "I'm just going to wait until they patch this thing." I pull up the launcher everyday to see what was patched.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 AM