Reply to this topicStart new topic
The AT game Brainstorm, Ideas for the game and story
AC9breaker
post Jul 12 2005, 01:36 AM
Post #1

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

I was thinking about possible scenarios and ideas for the game, and thought maybe making this thread would be a good way to get things rolling. I think it was agreed that the game would be a 2d scrolling action game.

Story: I've been trying to come up with original ideas but end up hating them. Someone proposed that it be set in a futuristic setting, I think its a cool idea too. I was thinking something post apocalyptic too such as Fist of the North Star or Mad Maxx.

features: Several AT personalities could be bosses. Example Cushinator could be a ninja robot that dances and melms you while you try to figure out his weak points or SCU could be some huge robot thats chases you while fleeing on the back of some truck all the while the characters have to chuck things or shoot him.

Also each selectable character could have their own special move of sorts. Such as the ninja vanish from Dive's mock up beigelaugh.gif

Lastly on the ideas a stage involving vehichles of some sort. Well those just a few of the things Ive been thinking.

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HC82
post Jul 12 2005, 10:04 AM
Post #2

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 4

I think it would cool if the AT and AT affliates were the good guys, playable characters, or characters that assist you along the way. We want to maintain that team feeling.

I'm all for some sort of sci-fi post-apocalyptic setting. It could be a tribe born out of some sort of apocalypse. Mad-max like, with other tribes warring against each other for supremacy.

I guess things like why the apocalypse occured and why there is war would be aspects to think about. I think the excuse of "total anarchy" and people just fighting to fight for basic rulership would be kinda lame, unless there is a greater reason for trying to gain supremacy.

Just some ideas, though. Since this is sci-fi, the fictional aspects allows for some fantasy elements as well. Our ideas don't have to be so grounded to reality.

Possiblity for quality storyline is fairly large with a sci-fi setting.

EDIT: I was thinking about the whole AT radio thing. It would be like some sort of means for AT to communicate with each other on the fly.

+Quote Post
Dive
post Jul 12 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

Just throwing out a plot idea.

ATHQ is the fortress of The Apocalpyse Tribe. The security of HQ has been compromised and AT has been forced to evacuate due to being overrun by mutants, zombies, republicans, etc. You receive a distress call and you must fight your way through the wasteland to reach the base of the mountain that ATHQ site upon. You must then fight your way into ATHQ and up the many floors, clearing out the infestation to reach the Control Room and repair the security mainframe.

+Quote Post
Icaras
post Jul 12 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #4

crazy in the coconut

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 16

"The President has been kidnapped!! We need some BAD DUDES to save him!!"

seriously though... Smash TV.

i would say the original COntra, but if you want to play a better version of that.. hey.. Metal Slug.

+Quote Post
proj
post Jul 14 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #5

Neckchopping Avatar of Angst

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 129

Nothing wrong with making the AT members bosses.. that's sounds pretty funny. So I can help with the coding aspect..

In Jr.High I did a game called 'The Jamacian Ninja Posse Game'. It had a single room with a boss and a switch. I like the ideas of having ninjas because that means you get to have cool moves, tools etc. Anyone skilled enough to do a character animation mockup.. I can plug it into a 2d engine I have laying around and upload a prototype.. basically what we would need to start for a prototype would be:

---
1 character sprite organized into a single image file (currently I can load TGA files natively)

so 32x32 or 64x32 is a pretty good frame size.

Each animation cycle should be in a serious of consecutive frames in the image. See the attached tga for an example from a prototype I did recently. It was a top-down tactical game so there is a series of frames for the different directions you can travel.

--
1 background

For the prototype we could just use a single image that scrolls but for the real deal you actually want to use a tilemap to save on space. A tilemap would be where you have an image that contains pieces that fit together then a file that is something like:

etc etc that specifies which piece of the image to use in that place.

---

Story wize I like the character development in initial-d and think that would be neat for a ninja game.. You start out as a delivery boy, the first few mission you have to take food to people living in an apartment complexes and learn to use your ninja skills do deliver food to the windows (ala crazy climber, bionic commando) you have a time-limit to deliver the food.. This is actually the way your dad is training you to be a ninja without you knowing it..

Second set of levels is post-life-changing-event that introduces antagonist but you are too weak to really defeat them at the end of this set of levels. After failing you meet your 'oracle-savior' type character who tells you about the next stage and what you must do to defeat the uber-boss.

Third set of levels is collecting the powers and pieces ot make the ultimate sword/item whatever that will allow you beat the bad guy (think zelda and the master sword)

4th set of levels is you fighting through boss liar to defeat his ass.

Each set may only be 3 smallish levels with a 2-3 bosses at the end but I think it could be fun.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  med_inf.tga ( 16.04K ) Number of downloads: 25

+Quote Post
Dive
post Jul 14 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #6

Wow, sounds good proj. If you came on board/led the coding team, this would save me so much time as I can then concentrate 100% on sprite animation.

I'll get a fully animated sprite completed to those specs soon.

+Quote Post
proj
post Jul 14 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #7

Yeah I've already got an engine which can do this pretty easily. We'll just get a little prototype going first and see how that goes.

+Quote Post
Dive
post Jul 14 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #8

hmm I was thinking, now that we have someone who knows what he is doing, maybe instead of simple side scrolling ,we can do something more like X-Men Legends 3/4 view gameplay. Too many ideas again. beigelaugh.gif

Maybe like this

This post has been edited by Dive: Jul 14 2005, 02:51 PM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Jul 14 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #9

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

That is a good idea for the perspective, Dive. Reminds me of Fallout or Syndicate Wars. buttrock.gif

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
proj
post Jul 14 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #10

Yeah I have an iso tile object that can do this but the only problem is from my experience it is a lot harder to do a good job on the iso stuff. To do it right there are some layering issues to deal with. The artist I was originally working with on the tactical prototype was using 3ds max with the shader plugin to do the graphics and we eventually figured out how to do the orthographic projection with the correct angle (I think it's like 55deg) to get the right look..

Basically to do it you need your tiles to have a 2/1 pixel rise edges
----
-- --
-- --
-- --
-- --
----

This ensures that when you put to tiles side to side that the top of the middle lower tile locks in. Then if you want doors etc you basically just make them longer. There is a lot more to this than first appears and I think sticking to straight 2d would be far better to get something actually finished ;)

+Quote Post
proj
post Jul 14 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #11

umm. that ascii art was copmletely butchered.. when i get to one of my home machines i could upload some of the sample art if anyone is interested in how you put together this type of tileset.

+Quote Post
Dive
post Jul 14 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (proj @ Jul 14 2005, 04:09 PM)
...and I think sticking to straight 2d would be far better to get something actually finished ;)

Yea that does sound a lot more involved. 2D sprites will be a lot quicker to create then the isometric variety. I haven't really messed with 3D programs, all of my experiene is in flat perspectives. Let's just go with the original plan for this project, the next game can incorporate this. beigelaugh.gif

+Quote Post
Wiryu
post Jul 14 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #13

This is my custom member title.

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 121

Proj is way smart in the art of video gaming O.O

+Quote Post
Dive
post Jul 15 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #14

In starting to come up with a character to design for proj's prototype, I had to stop and think about what kind to make, as I wanted it to be something I would use for the final version. We initially wanted a 4 player game with more than 4 "classes" to choose from. Since I want this game to completely feel "AT", I got to thinking about what 4 archetypes would represent the populace best. I came up with the following conclusions.

1. Pirate
2. Ninja
3. Robot
4. Feral

For starters, let's stick with 4 designs. Subsequent versions can contain the male/female versions of the archetype. Here are the characters I think should be included in the first version.

1. Female Pirate
2. Male Ninja
3. Male Robot
4. Female Feral

Sound good?

I can handle the Pirate and maybe the Ninja sprites, but I am not that great with mecha, and Retehi expressed interest in Feral character design.

So for proj's prototype I will work out a female pirate and at least have a walking animation completed soon.

+Quote Post
proj
post Jul 15 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #15

Okay one character with walking animation would be a good start. The engine is pretty much data driven so you will be able to experiment by editing an ini file for now.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:02 AM