Super Mario Galaxy 2
Scan_Man
post May 24 2010, 02:07 AM
Post #1

Grand Armor

Group: AT Certified
Member No.: 71

Anyone pick this up?

Maybe it is because I am not very far in, but so far I don't get the hype. Every site and magazine are hailing Super Mario Galaxy 2 as the greatest game ever made. Never expected in a million years a direct sequel would receive these types of reviews. Seriously the number of perfect scores, in reviews, this thing has received is ridiculous. But, so far to me Galaxy 2 seems more of the same.

Admittedly the level design is noticeably better than the first. And there are quite a few new scenarios involving the game's mechanics right when you thought Galaxy covered them all. Also, Galaxy 2 is faster paced. The flying from planet to planet is faster. The overworld map makes things quick too. It just throws you into the thick of things right away. Lastly the music is better than the first, and Galaxy had incredible music.

All reviews say Galaxy 2 is a lot more difficult than Galaxy, and later on the game starts to appeal more to the hardcore. From what I have played so far they seem to be telling the truth. The first two stars are very easy, but after that the difficulty shoots to about the mid point of Galaxy. And there are some extra Stars in those levels that seem about on par to the last levels in Galaxy. This is a good thing. Gameinformer noted frustration at some points because of "choke points" where they got stuck and could not collect a single star for 4 hours.

If you absolutely loved Galaxy I can see how one can say while playing Galaxy 2: "This does most everything better, and expands on it, which I thought could never be possible because the first one was amazing and near perfect. Galaxy 2 definitely deserves a perfect 10." For me it just feels like I've been here. It is going to take a lot more to "wow" me compared to experiencing Galaxy for the first time. Galaxy 2 has yet to hook me like the first did from the start, where I was obsessed with getting "one more star."

I'm prepared to eat my words though when its all said and done. Right now I'm wishing I had not held off on getting Red Dead Redemption first instead.

This post has been edited by Scan_Man: May 24 2010, 02:31 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:09 AM