Reply to this topicStart new topic
~powers that be.. ^^., what be you?
DivA
post Apr 28 2004, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Deus-Ex MachinA

Group: Neophyte Caste
Member No.: 44

~thought of the moment...do you believe in a higher power? if so, then what would that be & why do you believe; & if not, then why not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
unitself
post Apr 28 2004, 01:07 PM
Post #2

green and square

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 49

wow... DivA. Going for a real, honest to goodness topic, eh?
Ok, I will bite. I see that a few people have read this already and decided not to.
The short answer is no. I do not believe in a higher power.
My reason? Look around. What sort of monster would create all of this and then watch it slowly go to shit. People shooting each other, in his name no less. Babies being born with diseases. Some people say that God created AIDS to kill homosexuals because of thier evil, sinful lifestyle (the fact that people actually think that makes me so mad I can hardly see straight, but anyways...). If that's the case, then wtf did a fetus do to cause such a horrible wrath? There are just too many things wrong with everything for me to truely believe that someone is in charge.
Now, all that said, I do think that I would be a happier person if I did believe though. Just knowing that there is a beautiful place that I would go to after I died would be great! But, I know that there isn't. To me, only humans could invent a place like Heaven and then go right around and invent a super fucked up thing like Hell.
Please understand, that I do not belittle anyone's religion or beliefs. Not at all. I just have my opinions and, except for this very moment, I keep them to myself. Like I said before, I would love to believe. I just need something... more.

You know, DivA, you're not allowed to post a question this deep and not partake yourself. beigesmile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HC82
post Apr 28 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #3

Badass Billionaire Extraordanaire

Member No.: 4

I would be very careful about these topics. They can lead to people's personal believes being either offended or offending someone. Let's keep any mean spirited remarks or anything flame-like to one's self.

I've seen it happen on so many forums, so I'm just throwing out the warning now.

EDIT: That means that it's cool to discuss, but nothing bitter.

This post has been edited by HC82: Apr 28 2004, 01:37 PM

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Apr 28 2004, 03:10 PM
Post #4

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

Personally I do believe in a greater power. I try not to bother with labels and deep thoughts like what it is. I just believe in it. One may ask why? I would guess my answer would be cause Im a very optimistic open minded person, and because I want to believe.

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
DivA
post Apr 28 2004, 03:16 PM
Post #5

Deus-Ex MachinA

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (HC82 @ Apr 28 2004, 01:36 PM)
I would be very careful about these topics. They can lead to people's personal believes being either offended or offending someone. Let's keep any mean spirited remarks or anything flame-like to one's self.

~a warning implies fear of a potential clash of views; i would like to give the folks of ~athq.. a little more faith in such matters, HC82 ~ else, i wouldn't have posted.. at-emote1.gif

well, SCU...that was an interesting read & you're right in that i should participate; which i intend to do regardless.. the purpose of this is to see how we view the bigger picture in relation to the things that transpire around us...though we share the collective of a physical reality, we also travel through life at the personal level; it would be good to see one live with eyes open to a bigger picture (whatever that may be..), but as you pointed out - there are those that don't, & there are those that choose this willingly.. =.

as far as i see existence - i practice a zen-like spiritual truth; all theologies of a spiritual nature, all philosophies & faiths i accept as valid...i accept all, denounce none.. why? because all paths lead to the divinity of infinite names & faces; it is not for me to judge nor condemn anything, you see?

your view of the world is startling, & in truth - lots of what you say do happen; but there is a side that is measured in light, & such beauty exists in the most overlooked place imaginable ~ within..

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Apr 28 2004, 03:49 PM
Post #6

Busy In Hell

Member No.: 51

Do I believe in a higher power, yes, but it is good to remember that these higher powers were written by man. I actually believe in two higher powers. I do believe in a God, and I believe in an Anti-God. I don't know why our god allows all of this negative stuff to happen, but I think that the devil or anti-god causes the negative things to happen. I don't think that god doesn't care but maybe he/she whatever or whomever may not be allowed in some way not to help. There are so many beliefs on this topic and the only way to truly know whether god exists or not wil be to die. The answer to that question is yes, but I don't follow the rules of one specific religion because the only way to know for sure, like I said before will be to die.

--------------------
user posted image
PSO BB:PSO BB Chars: Fred lv77 HUnewearl
Aquarius-X lv10 RAmarl
Watch DScc in action at DScc Vision Az

+Quote Post
Marn
post Apr 28 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #7

Addicted to Electricity

Group: Associates
Member No.: 105

I feel a lot like scu on this one. I don't think any higher power, at least one like any religion I know of on earth portrays it, could create this world and let this happen to it. Catholics say that it's all part of free will, and because we have this, is why evil people kill others and harm people... but what about cancer? What about AIDS? Natural things, diseases, stuff that our fragile human lives are weak to, because there has to be something. If there is a God simliar to the one the Christians believe in, I'd like to know why he lets us live like this and not a paradise, similar to the one we have to do good deeds our entire life to get into, instead of allowing all this. Free will is great and all, but murder victims and children or anybody who dies of a terminal illness and is ripped from the world had no free will... they died because we're organisms with immune systems and sometimes they get infected and they fail, and some people are mean and some people hate and kill. Not because we were given the gift of anything, least of all free will...

Meeeeeeh~

--------------------
\o\
/o/
\o/

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Apr 28 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #8

Busy In Hell

Member No.: 51

Yeah, but we have to remember, Higher Power doesn't necesarrily mean all good higher-power. It could make human or conscious choices and maybe mankind has done something to betray this higher-power(or maybe it's off somewhere faraway and it left us to do as we wll.) Think about it. We have murderers, killers, racism, war, and all of this other stuff with Bush and Iraq etc. Maybe it's not that he won't do anything, Maybe all of this has made it so mad that it chooses not to do anything.

--------------------
user posted image
PSO BB:PSO BB Chars: Fred lv77 HUnewearl
Aquarius-X lv10 RAmarl
Watch DScc in action at DScc Vision Az

+Quote Post
Retehi
post Apr 28 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #9

Show-off

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 10

Not really, not my thing to look into and whatnot, so I'll leave it at that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dorian
post Apr 29 2004, 04:09 AM
Post #10

Local 804

Member No.: 66

I believe in a higher power, one might call him God, another might call him Frank Zappa. For lack of a better word I an christian. I do not in any way follow church law. I, myself follow the bible, what I feel, philosophy and many other things. I guess you can say I belive in God, and Jesus and so on. But I consider my religion to be more pagan in nature. The bible states that there is 3 gods (Interpret it how you wish, this is just the way I see it) There is God the father, God the son and God the holy spirit. People believe for them to be the same person, I believe for them to be 3 seprate entities all together. As I said, I'm christian for lack of a better word, but it's really my own belief system.

I in no way think any form of religion is wrong, nor do I think any is right. I follow what I believe because it makes me a better person (not saying if you don't follow what I believe that you're a worse person, this just makes me and me alone better)

All I know is all religion stems down to one thing. There's something out there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, us being on earth makes us guests in somebodys home. Lets not mess it up.. Because clean up would be a bitch.

Everyone should love everyone and hate no one. Hold hands... yadda yadda....

Peace on earth good will towards mankind.. yadda yadda..

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

"Be Exellent to Eachother."

and...

"Party on Dudes!"

+Quote Post
Marn
post Apr 29 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #11

Addicted to Electricity

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (Azrael @ Apr 28 2004, 06:22 PM)
Yeah, but we have to remember, Higher Power doesn't necesarrily mean all good higher-power. It could make human or conscious choices and maybe mankind has done something to betray this higher-power(or maybe it's off somewhere faraway and it left us to do as we wll.) Think about it. We have murderers, killers, racism, war, and all of this other stuff with Bush and Iraq etc. Maybe it's not that he won't do anything, Maybe all of this has made it so mad that it chooses not to do anything.

Yeah, that's why I said at the beginning "the way any religion on earth that I know of" portrays it. Meaning major ones, none of which make this higher power anything but all-knowing and loving.

--------------------
\o\
/o/
\o/

+Quote Post
Mute
post Apr 29 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #12

Sunbro

Member No.: 25

I am not a practicing believer in any religion. Though it may sound blasphemous to some, I always thought studying the bible and going to church was a waste of time. My family is very involved in Chrisitianity, and sometimes I feel like a black sheep. When I visit them, I've been pressured to go to church events and stuff that I really did not want to attend. Now I have no problem with the Christian religion nor any religion at that, but I've always been highly skeptical of any higher power defined in the ways that were presented before me. However I will say that deep down, I have always believed in a God, which of course I refer to as just God. I guess it's because I really can't see how existence could have been created from science if in the beginning there had been nothing? I suppose I'm mostly influenced by scientific reasoning, but of course that his it's limitations as well. It too is based on laws and words defined by man.

So basically, yea, I do believe in a higher power you could say. Deep down, like everyone probably, I'd just like to know the truth. And I suppose it's better to be open minded to the thought rather than completely shut out from it.

Even under the assumption that God’s existence is unlikely, the potential benefits of believing are so vast as to make betting on theism rational. - Blaise Pascal
beigebigrazz.gif

--------------------
PSN ID: USF_Tailgater
Xbox Live: USF Tailgater

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:30 PM