Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Retehi
post Sep 17 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Show-off

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 10

Anyone gonna check it out tonight? Later on, or some other time?

This looks like it could turn out to be a pretty good film, hopefully renew my faith in the rather lackluster movie industry as of late. (Insert about 90% of the summers movies here)

I'm just waitin' on a later time for a show, and hopefully get one of my lazy friends to tag along.

I'll have an impression later tonight.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Sep 17 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

I like the retro-futuristic setting, and Jude Law is always cool. The concept of a completely CG movie (besides the actors) is interesting too, although its nothing new (see Star Wars 2).

I fucking hate Angelina Jolie though.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
Retehi
post Sep 18 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Show-off

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 10

Ok I just got home, and holy crap, I was amazed.

This movie is all eye candy, awesome scenery, especially the city. Think the Dick Tracy retro look (Which is obvious in the commercials, but it's awesome when the cameras going around through the city streets). Also som very other nice areas to look at that I won't spoil. Great flying scenes as well.

I really, really liked the style of all the robots, that old plain look, yet had a certain charm that drew me in. Was nice seeing some robots move around like ACTUAL clunky robots without them flying around at speeds defying physics, and wielding lightsabers. beigeroll.gif The flying manta ray things were kinda strange, but I grew to like them.

Dialogue was a bit incoherent at times, which made me scratch my head at times, but I later caught up. I also enjoyed the movie score, something that's hard to find in a lot of movies lately, music you'd hear straight out of a WW2 movie.

One of the best parts (In my eyes) : no uneeded cheesy humor, if something funny happned, it was justified, no random BS "haha he made a smart ass remark when killing someone" kind of crap.

If you don't like Angelina, you'll be pleased, she doesnt show up a whole lot. beigebiggrin.gif Although I admit, she played her character rather nice. Surprising from her. . .

Maybe I'm just a sucker for that old retro look, but overall, I really like the movie, a very refreshing thing to see these days. Incredibly enjoyable, I recommend checking it out.

3 out of 4 stars.

Random SPOILER! You been warned.

Not sure if it really qualifies as a spoiler, but to a lot, reaction counts I guess.

Corniest. Ending. Ever. I let out the biggest groan in the theater. I'll leave it at that. That's just the last absolute scene tho, the last part of the movie was very exciting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astrid
post Sep 18 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #4

Hyper Frame

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 67

I'm very excited to see this movie :D I planned to go last night, but stuff got in the way. There's always next week.

I really, really liked the style of all the robots, that old plain look, yet had a certain charm that drew me in. Was nice seeing some robots move around like ACTUAL clunky robots without them flying around at speeds defying physics, and wielding lightsabers.  The flying manta ray things were kinda strange, but I grew to like them.

That's pretty refreshing from the usual robots, though I think I still prefer the action-based, physics-defyers. Maybe it's my inner comic geek, demanding illogical battle sequences.

If you don't like Angelina, you'll be pleased, she doesnt show up a whole lot.  Although I admit, she played her character rather nice. Surprising from her. . .

Heh heh heh. We all know Ms. Jolie's fame doesn't lie in her acting ability, but rather in something whose title can be compared to an internet device. With that said, her trendiness gets on my nerves, also.

Thr movie sounds like it flows naturally, so that's a pleasant surprise. I like the fact that there's no forced comedy. So, I guess I'll try to see it tonight.

--------------------
"So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, raped him with a corncob and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' So I hit him. What would you do?" -- Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Sep 18 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #5

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

Im still abit skeptical. First of I have never seen an Angelina Jolie movie that was good. Two, WTF a G rating? Three, I still have the memories of Van Hellsing in my head and this movie just looks to me as it might be the same thing. Four, Angelina Jolie movie's suck harder then Jenna Jamison. Finally five, it just too much CG for my taste. Its like a heresey's chocolate bar or reese's cup. One is okay, but too many make your mouth dry.

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Astrid
post Sep 19 2004, 01:24 AM
Post #6

Hyper Frame

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 67

So, I've seen it. I absolutely loved the film noir lighting. The Sky Captain (Jude Law) was witty and amicable -- very impressive. Polly (Gwyneth Paltrow).. well, I liked her sass, but her stupidity and selfishness really got on my nerves. She reminded me of Jean Grey a little, more physically than anything else (the hair and the posh appearance, in general). Frank (Angelina Jolie) was surprisingly charismatic, and reminded me a lot of Domino -- both, physically, and personality-wise. Yeah, everything's an X-Men reference to me. With that said, it's worth seeing. If nothing else, I'm sure you'll be impressed by the assassin. You'll see why. beigesmile.gif I refuse to spoil anything.

--------------------
"So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, raped him with a corncob and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' So I hit him. What would you do?" -- Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan

+Quote Post
Dorian
post Sep 19 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #7

Local 804

Group: Associates
Member No.: 66

QUOTE (Astrid @ Sep 19 2004, 02:24 AM)
So, I've seen it. I absolutely loved the film noir lighting. The Sky Captain (Jude Law) was witty and amicable -- very impressive. Polly (Gwyneth Paltrow).. well, I liked her sass, but her stupidity and selfishness really got on my nerves. She reminded me of Jean Grey a little, more physically than anything else (the hair and the posh appearance, in general). Frank (Angelina Jolie) was surprisingly charismatic, and reminded me a lot of Domino -- both, physically, and personality-wise. Yeah, everything's an X-Men reference to me. With that said, it's worth seeing. If nothing else, I'm sure you'll be impressed by the assassin. You'll see why. beigesmile.gif I refuse to spoil anything.

if on;y you knew how much X-men sucked.

+Quote Post
Dive
post Sep 21 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #8

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

I enjoyed the movie. However I wish the director had maintained the feel that the first 10 minutes or so had. Yes I realize that the entire movie is an homage to every sci-fi serial of the so called golden age of science fiction. To me, the beginning act, with the Hindenburg III, the gothic noir New York, and giant robots had a superb look and feel that was just not sustained throughout the rest of the presentation.

I too feel that the actors came off a bit flat, in relation to the scale of the sets and cinematography. My only exception is Angelina Jolie's character Frankie, who was simply badass.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image 3 AT Stars out of 5

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:04 PM