Wyvern Strategies
Mute
post Sep 28 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Sunbro

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Zio @ Sep 28 2004, 03:15 PM)
Haha thats cool guys...Im on Monster Hunter right now. People in here are teh crazeh! We all went to the jungle and smacked down the Gyncerops or whatever that things name is. He fakes death and stuff all the time so it was pretty tough. About the only thing I got was rubbery hides but you can make Gyncerops armor with it.

What would you say is the best way to beat that guy? We're all gonna have to initiate this Urgent Quest down the road to hit Hunter's Rank 5, so I figure talking some strategy on taking the sucker down would be beneficial.
We tried him once with a team of Dive (gunner), riel (sword and shield), SaitoH (2 handed sword), and me (lance) but only got him down to what I think is about half health, since he flew away to his first retreat zone. I think we almost had him but that darn feign death move he does takes off a TON of health. On a positive note, it took a few good fights against Kut-Ku to really get a feel for how to handle him, so perhaps after a few showdowns with the Gycerpos (sp?) we won't have as much trouble.
I'd say our best bet is to stock up on some flash bombs (if only to knock out the pesky other creatures that get in the way), and a few pitfall traps. I'd like to nail his ass with some large barrel bombs but I always end up detonating them too close to someone and killing them. beigebiggrin.gif
Anyhow, I'm not sure when I'll be online again next since I got a pretty random schedule coming up, but I'd definately like to take on this bird again ASAP.

EDIT: Anyone done that damn Cephadrome quest offline? I've attempted it like 5 times now and I kept failing due to deaths. My main problem is (well one I only have been using the default supplies >_>;; Guess I kinda answered my own question) that I can barely ever get the sucker out of the ground, and when he finally does come up, I get nailed with his cheap shoulder charge... even when I'm BETWEEN his damn legs. O_o It's driving me nuts cause I really want to see what the reward is like from the quest and I'm sick of going down because of the heat. beigebigrazz.gif

This post has been edited by Mute: Sep 30 2004, 06:44 PM

--------------------
PSN ID: USF_Tailgater
Xbox Live: USF Tailgater
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkEpyon
post Sep 28 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Revolution to the Destruction

Member No.: 21

Yeah, we would all do well to master the science of wyvernology.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Dive
post Sep 28 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #3

Antarctica Traffic Control

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 1

A good strategy to fight Gypceros is to set up a Pitfall Trap, then set some Large Barrel Bombs next to it, close to each other. Lure the Gypceros with the Horn, and when it falls into the pit, it's defense will drop signifacantly. We then use a Small Barrel Bomb next to the larger ones. All three will go off, doing great damage to the beastie.

We should have time to set up a couple more Large Bombs before it is able to get out of the pit. If we can keep this up, I think we can take it fairly easily.

This post has been edited by Dive: Sep 28 2004, 07:21 PM

+Quote Post
Mute
post Sep 28 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #4

Sunbro

I was thinking of doing something similar to that. I was just worried about how to detonate the large bombs since it seemed they won't just go off if the wyvern falls into the trap. However, with the small bombs, that sounds perfect. Alternatively, though, we could have our gunner (you beigebigrazz.gif) set up at a nice camping spot and keep the first set of barrels in his scope and nail the sucker when the wyvern is trapped. Then, immediately, us melee can run in with large barrels, set up one each, drop a small bomb, and run like hell. Rinse, and repeat and I smell victory.

I suggest people start gathering free barrels from the little melynx (cat people) areas on the various maps. Gunpowder can be made by combining Nitroshrooms(which you can get in the Forest Area 3, close to area 10) and Fire Herbs (which I'm still not sure how to get consistently). Also collect Spiderwebs and combine them with Ivy to produce Nets to combine with trap tools for pitfalls. Sorry if you know all this stuff already. I just wanted to post a cost effective way of saving up for future wyvern fights. So next time you go mining, don't forget to spend a little time gathering a few other materials. ;)

Also, I'm going to "attempt" to do a little translation of the pensil MH site that deals with trading to the old man in each area (for example, Area 7 of the Forest and Hills map). Apparently you can switch out rare materials for specific other rare materials which could make life alot easier for those seeking certain parts to craft with. Now if this is in the Bradygames Guidebook already, I'm going to have to pick the sucker up this week. beigebigrazz.gif

EDIT: FIRE HERBS not Sap Plants. ^^;

This post has been edited by Mute: Sep 28 2004, 07:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Sep 30 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (Mute @ Sep 28 2004, 07:22 PM)
I was thinking of doing something similar to that. I was just worried about how to detonate the large bombs since it seemed they won't just go off if the wyvern falls into the trap. However, with the small bombs, that sounds perfect. Alternatively, though, we could have our gunner (you beigebigrazz.gif) set up at a nice camping spot and keep the first set of barrels in his scope and nail the sucker when the wyvern is trapped. Then, immediately, us melee can run in with large barrels, set up one each, drop a small bomb, and run like hell. Rinse, and repeat and I smell victory.

Large barrel bombs are set off by a gunner shooting them or throwing a stone at them and setting them off. Also I think all my group did was use a pit fall trap, some small barrel bombs, and we had 1 gunner and 3 great sword users @_@ and yes he fakes death sometimes so you get one person to wake him up cuz that move takes out a pretty nice chunk of your health out.

+Quote Post
Dive
post Sep 30 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #6

I split the Wyvern posts from the main thread into this own topic.

+Quote Post
Mute
post Sep 30 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #7

Sunbro

Well since this topic is obviously full of spoilers, I'm going to go ahead and post some tips for the offline Cephadrome quest from the 7 or so times I attempted it. beigelaugh.gif

This is a melee strategy focused based on my experiences using both the Hammer and the Lance. I'm sure the Gunner strategy would be much different.

Cephadrome Strategy

Preparation
Bring along each of the following:
10 Sonic Bombs
10 Potions
1+ Cool Drink(s)
5+ Whetstones
3+ Well-cooked Steaks
3 Lg-Barrel Bombs
3 Sm-Barrel Bombs

*combine a Screamer and Gunpowder to make a Sonic Bomb.

Engaging the enemy
Wait patiently for the most opportune time to throw a Sonic Bomb to get Cephadrome out of the sand. I only say this because I must have wasted about 5 with bad throws. When it withers on the ground, immediately run up and plant a Lg-Barrel Bomb followed by a Sm-Barrel Bomb and run. Keep an eye on the other sand wyverns and try to reposition yourself between Cephadrome's legs (also try to nail him with a Paintball ASAP). Hack away and try to stay centered or else his tail swipe and charge move will send you flying. Either blow will take a nice chunk of your health away as well. Eventually Cephadrome may dive forward and back into the sand. Just repeat with a Sonic Bomb and the Lg-Barrel Bomb and Sm-Barrel bomb and the hack and slash between the legs technique. I'm pretty sure Cephadrome's underbelly is a weak spot. Eventually you will run out of bombs, but don't fret, Cephadrome's health will be considerably low by then. Just continue blasting him out the sand and hacking away. At this point, Cephadrome will either A) be dead or B) retreat. Most likely he will retreat to area 3. So get on your horse and dash for Area 3 since he'll likely already be recovering Hit Points by the time you get to him (I'd suggest going back through to camp to pick up the 2 Sonic Bombs that are leftover). Once you get to Area 3, unleash on the sucker until he goes down. If he jumps back in the sand, just blast him out again. Be wary, however, this Area contains pesky Melynx who will steal your items as well as a couple large armored herbivores that will charge you on sight. They're not too bad to contend with, especially since Cephadrome tends to knock them out himself with his tail. ^^

Well, hope that helps anyone in case that quest was causing them any trouble. The key to this battle is preparation. You definately don't wanna be stuck without an extra cool drink and stamina supplies. That is what got me killed a few times unfortunately.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Oct 5 2004, 10:16 AM
Post #8

Guests

I did that stupid gycerops quest before and now I have to do it again to get rank 5...>_< maybe if I don't get this done today on some server someone can help me out with it? I did this quest with some random people before but they kept dying from the move when he gets up after faking death.

+Quote Post
Dive
post Oct 5 2004, 10:33 AM
Post #9

If I can be on tonight Zio, I will help you. I have faced the online Gypceros a few times, and always a success. I really think using a pitfall and bombs helps a lot. I also think that when he starts to fly away to another zone, and we can still see him in the air, that is the time to use a Horn to call him. It seemed to work that way in a demo video I have.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Oct 6 2004, 06:37 AM
Post #10

Guests

Gah...unless I can get it done tonight before 6:00 P.M. (EST) I'll have to wait til Monday because I'm leaving tommorow at about noon and won't be back until Saturday sometime =\

+Quote Post
Guest_Zio_*
post Oct 11 2004, 06:45 AM
Post #11

Guests

Well Gypceros has been beaten for a few days now...(beat him offline too >_>) anyway Im having a tough time with Rathalos offline. I've done the quest about 4-5 times and still havn't beat him. Ive taken enough materials to have...
-3 pitfall traps
-3 large barrel bombs
-about 6 small barrel bombs
-5-6 Mega Potions
-8 Potions
-about 8 Whetstones altogether
His fireball move usually owns me if your underneath him and he fires and flys back at the same time. Then again my fire resistance is at -14 as of right now...(stupid Gypceros armor...) I was thinking about makin new armor with better fire resistance then fighting him again. Tell me if any of you beat him and how you did it @_@
-On a side note I'm back from Michigan =p

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:23 PM