IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Official PS3 release info from Sony, Finally! (plus some PSP crap)
Crushinator
post Mar 16 2006, 05:35 AM
Post #1

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

Ruthlessly skyjacked from GAF:

PS3:
- GLOBAL RELEASE NOVEMBER 11th
- 60GB HDD 2.5" with pre-installed Linux OS will be standard (included? we don't know 100%, but it is "required") and is upgradeable
- Dev kit specs fix as of today
- Final PS3 development kits will be sent to developers in June
- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD
- Every PS3 game will be on a Blu Ray Disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy
- Price will not be less than 50.000YEN (~$425USD) [Note that Japanese prices are usually higher. SPECULATION is that it will be $349-$499 USD]
- PS3 will have HDMI support from launch
- Sony plans to produce 1 million PS3s a month; 6 million PS3s for FY2006 (by the end of March 07)
- "basic" online service free, no details yet (and apparently free for games as well unlike XBLS)
- Full backwards compatibility from day 1; hi-res and texture filtering for all titles (akin to what MS does to the few BC titles on 360)
- The online service will be working off of GameSpy technology (co-development with SOE)

PSP:
- videophone in autumn
- GPS (Hot Shots Golf with GPS revealed; October 2006 for Japan)
- Eyetoy
- Flash support with next update
- Mem.Stick boot support in autumn
- first-gen PS1 official emulator
- buy/download games from net
- 199 CORE PACK PSP being released in USA/Europe by end of March (March 22nd for Europe)
- 19,800 yen Ceramic White PSP CORE PACK from 15 April in Japan

Looks like Sony is trying basically the same launch period MS had for the 360 last year, and the same global launch plan as well. I wonder if they will have the same problem units-wise, shipping globally.

I like the STANDARD hard drive, though. And 60 gigs is tits. I wonder if it will have TIVO-like abilities like were rumored earlier this year. The online support from gamespy is promising too, at least there will be SOME unified online service for the PS this time around.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Mar 16 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

Holy Shizzle, a Linux OS pre-installed!?
Seems logical if you think about it for a minute.

I'm a bit skeptical on if Sony will be able to deliver. Sony is making a lot of claims for the PS3. All of Sony's effort seem a bit rushed and disorganized and becuase of this, I predict a good amount of defective PS3s come launch day ala 360 and PS2.

cry2.gif

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 10:41 AM