DS games, Anybody pick up anything new?
unitself
post Nov 14 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #1

green and square

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 49

I grabbed Contact a few weeks ago.
I am not 100% satisfied with my purchase. I like the look and everything, it's just the combat system that I really do NOT like. It's so passive. You have no control over the character at all! You push "action" and he punches/swings like every two or three seconds. I would have much prefered him to swing when i push a button (like Sword of Mana) or a pure turn based setup. Also, the leveling system is very odd. Getting stronger by doing things is fine, and I understand it. It's just that I really have no idea how strong I am until I am in combat and either losing badly or suddenly killing with one hit. But, I like the story and characters and I already spent the cash... so I'm going to continue with it.

I would like to pick up Children of Mana. I had fun with Sword of Mana (for the most part) and I think CoM will address alot of what I had problems with while playing SoM - like a MAP!! But I am playing an older Zelda game which is taking care of my hack and slash for the moment.

I even think that that Pokemon game - where you turn INTO a Pokemon - looks kinda fun.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Nov 14 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #2

Soul Hunter

Group: Magister
Member No.: 23

I'm pretty upset becuase there are alot of games that have me interested, but I just don't have the time or money to play them.

I'm definetly picking up Final Fantasy III
But I would also like to try out Elite Beat Agents, Cooking Mama, and totally looking foward to Phoniex Wright sequal and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl!

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Benja
post Nov 14 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Armor

Group: Associates
Member No.: 65

QUOTE(unitself @ Nov 14 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]26009[/snapback]

I grabbed Contact a few weeks ago.
I am not 100% satisfied with my purchase. I like the look and everything, it's just the combat system that I really do NOT like. It's so passive. You have no control over the character at all! You push "action" and he punches/swings like every two or three seconds. I would have much prefered him to swing when i push a button (like Sword of Mana) or a pure turn based setup. Also, the leveling system is very odd. Getting stronger by doing things is fine, and I understand it. It's just that I really have no idea how strong I am until I am in combat and either losing badly or suddenly killing with one hit. But, I like the story and characters and I already spent the cash... so I'm going to continue with it.

I picked up Contact recently also when I upgraded to a ds lite and wanted something new to play on it. I'm not very far into it, but it is definitely a very quirky game so far.
On the battle system, depending on what outfit(ffX-2?!) and/or what weapon you are using, you can use special attacks. At the start at least, there are 5 little green dots on the top of the screen that fill up as you fight. Each green dot is equal to one special attack. Other than that though, I agree it is very passive.
The "you can only eat so much food then your stomach is full" part of the game is um, interesting? realistic? different, I'll go with different.
I plan to keep playing for a while, but ff3 does come out tomorrow, so we'll see.

I don't know much about it, but Elite Beat Agents looks quite funny. The buttons on my ds might be a bit small for my feet though.
My wife has Cooking Mama, she seems to like it, I'll have to watch her play some beigebigrazz.gif.
The Phoenix Wright games always looked good, anyone play the first one?
Pokemon games are usually quite well made. Too many of them are coming out in a short period though, I can't keep them all straight.
I'd like to hear if Children of Mana is fun. You buy it and tell me. ok? ok.
ff3 looks really good, hope it plays good. Anyone see any reviews on it yet? And what's up with the cheapest I've seen it being sold for being $40 U.S.? Every other game is usually $35 at most, and normally is $30 the first week...

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Nov 14 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

Most reviews of CoM make it out to be a repetive dungeon crawler more so then most action rpgs. If you're looking for a site to find game reviews theres gamerankings.com

+Quote Post
unitself
post Nov 16 2006, 09:06 AM
Post #5

green and square

Member No.: 49

It's not the game rankings I am interested in.
It's my fellow ATHQ'ers and their thoughts on DS games that I would like to hear from.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Nov 16 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #6

Soul Hunter

QUOTE(unitself @ Nov 16 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]26025[/snapback]

It's not the game rankings I am interested in.
It's my fellow ATHQ'ers and their thoughts on DS games that I would like to hear from.

/concur'D

I picked up Final Fantasy III for the DS yesterday and I'm pretty shocked how good it is. Even though its the same old trite RPG formula we've been playing to death, I can't help but really like this. I would explain it but I got alot of research papers and reports due for school so i really don't feel like typing too much. beigelaugh.gif One thing though, playable directly through touch screen, Super Big Plus from me here. trophy.gif

Oh yeah, and Benja I own the first Phoenix Wright. Here are my thoughts on it.

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

+Quote Post
omega71
post Nov 16 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #7

Gaymer Extrodinare

Group: Associates
Member No.: 245

I am still playing Animal Crossing religiously..Soon though I shall be receiving Contact, Clubhouse Games, and Brain Age for Christanuukwanza..

I am going to pick up FF3 on my next paycheck, but I am really looking forward to Clubhouse Games..I really want to own a few people at Shogi online

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Dec 2 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #8

Soul Hunter

This just in, Elite Beat Agents = Best DS game 2006 hands down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkEpyon
post Dec 2 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #9

Revolution to the Destruction

Member No.: 21

FF3 is truely an excellent game. However, would it have killed Squeenix to use a better font than the same one as FF4 and 5 on GBA? It's just so small!

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Vitamin D
post Dec 3 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #10

IS MAHVEL BAYBEE!

Member No.: 35

QUOTE(AC9breaker @ Dec 2 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]26108[/snapback]

This just in, Elite Beat Agents = Best DS game 2006 hands down.

Dude... all you had to tell me was "September" by Earth Wind and Fire was on the game. That's it, consider another copy sold haha. shades.gif

--------------------
<center>
"You Need The D? Then You Need Me!"

+Quote Post
Vitamin D
post Jun 29 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #11

IS MAHVEL BAYBEE!

Member No.: 35

Well here it is close to 8 months later, and I finally got a copy of Elite Beat Agents. I ask myself... what the hell was I waiting on? The game is incredibly fun, addictive, and innovative to boot. It even has a pretty decent challenge so it's not a game to be blown through. If you have a DS, it should be required you have this game, it's that polished.

--------------------
<center>
"You Need The D? Then You Need Me!"

+Quote Post
tanshin
post Jun 30 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #12

Drunken Ninja Master Thug

Member No.: 80

Sweet, I too was looking for more DS games! What a convenient thread, since I am apparently incapable of starting one myself.

I also bought Contact, and I actually really like the game. I have no problem with the battle system, it kind of reminds me of an MMO, except without the hassle of, you know, other people. I started cracking up when the old guy said "Attack the weak point for massive damage!" while I was fighting a boss. Some parts are kind of tedious, like how I have to change to every outfit I own and walk back into the depths of the same pyramid over and over, only to find that I am missing one of the outfits.

This thread has inspired me to pick up elite beat agents! Thanks guys...a year ago.

--------------------

dueling, remade for modern audiences

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:38 PM