Reply to this topicStart new topic
Anime Recommendations, See them now.
Vitamin D
post Jul 30 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #1

IS MAHVEL BAYBEE!

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 35

I've recently finished an anime series that was absolutely brilliant from beginning to end. When I started this series, I was watching another awesome show alongside it. I'll start with the latter.

Death Note is a manga/anime series that has become pretty popular, and for good reason. It's a story that's unconventional and because of it, it is a show that is utterly intriguing. To sum it up, Main character, Yagami Light, one day while being real bored finds a notebook, the Death Note. The rules of the Death Note state that if you a write a person's name in the Death Note, that person will die. It's just as morbid as it sounds haha. Light being the curious guy he is, tests out the Death Note and discovers it's abilities are real. Using the Death Note, Light plans to create an ideal world, a world without criminals, a world where everyone can live in peace. This of course doesn't go unnoticed by the authorities. The World's number 1 detective, known as L is on the case. L is determined to find out who the culprit is, how he's killing the people he is, and ultimately bring him to justice. What follows is an unbelievably well written detective based cat and mouse story. It also has you choose a side. The show does a great job of dividing peoples thoughts. You either side with L, side with Light, or you're somewhere in the middle. It's amazing how well this was done. Death Note has become one of my favorite animes of all time, and that really says a lot. It's also the only anime in history that makes writing in a notebook look cool >_>. The manga does a better job with explaining some key story points, but overall, the anime is a must see.

The other anime, which I finished just yesterday, may be one of the best shows in all of television.

Code Geass is one of the best animes of all time. It helps too that it doesn't have a manga that its based on, meaning that it won't have things like filler (which cripples shows like Naruto and Bleach...). All the content is original and amazingly well done. Since I'd SUCK at this shows story description, I'll let Wikipedia do it haha.

"On August 10th, 2010, a.t.b., the Holy Empire of Britannia overpowered Japanese forces and conquered the country with their robotic weapons, the Knightmare Frames, in less than a month. Japan lost its freedom and rights and was renamed Area 11, and the Japanese people are renamed "Elevens" and forced to survive in ghettos, while Britannians live in first-class settlements. Rebel elements persist, however, as pockets of Japanese organizations struggle against the Empire for the independence of Japan.
After his father, the Emperor of Britannia, did nothing to pursue the terrorists who murdered his mother and crippled his sister, a young boy named Lelouch, vowed to destroy Britannia. Seven years later in Area 11, he encounters a mysterious girl who gives him the power of the Geass. With it, he finally has the power that he needs to defeat Britannia and fulfill his two wishes: to seek revenge for his mother and to construct a world in which his beloved sister can live happily"

The story for Code Geass is amazing. It keeps you guessing the whole time, and the characters are great as well. It's also a sick mecha anime too. It's so many things in one that it's hard to fit it all. It's one of those shows that I'd point anyone to if they were curious about anime. It is fantastic. The 25th episode ends in a huge cliff hanger... luckily there's another season in the works. Thank God for that, I'd have been pissed >_>.

I encourage everyone to see these shows. Even if you're all like "lolanime" I STILL think you should see them. I think they might change your views on the medium. I can't sing the praises of these shows enough, they NEED to be seen. I'm sure there are still torrents for these shows floating around, and it would be in all of your interests to check out one of, if you can both of, these awesome shows. If not, they both are licensed, so if you don't mind waiting, check them out when they get here. Trust me, it's totally worth it to see them.

--------------------
<center>
"You Need The D? Then You Need Me!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wiryu
post Jul 31 2007, 02:25 AM
Post #2

This is my custom member title.

Group: Paragon Caste
Member No.: 121

Ala the reccomendation, I started on a few death note episodes. The show seems to be pretty damn cool so far! I like the idea of starring an anti-hero.

+Quote Post
Henge
post Jul 31 2007, 03:10 AM
Post #3

OpSec

Group: Dark Templar
Member No.: 2

I haven't been able to get into any new anime lately, All the new stuff just seems so blah. the last one to come out i really enjoyed was Samurai Champloo. Oh, and FMA.

I must admit i'm a bit bias against deathnote, as my roomate is constantly taking up massive amounts of bandwidth streaming it on the internet. *shakes fist*

At least it isn't a DBZ clone, though. like Naruto, which i can't stand.

Code Greass, however, sounds quite thought provoking and intresting.

+Quote Post
Crushinator
post Jul 31 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #4

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

The last word in anime, nothing comes close. Just make sure you get the original japanese version, they totally fucked up the english dub (as usual!) English voice actors have no idea how to convey the emotions of modern stone age life.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.

+Quote Post
DarkEpyon
post Jul 31 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #5

Revolution to the Destruction

Member No.: 21

HAHAHAHAHA

ザ・フリンストーンズ

Za Furinsutonzu.

--------------------

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Aug 3 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Soul Hunter

Member No.: 23

I think I'm just about done with anime. Of course I still and probably will always be a die hard GiTS fan, I'm really just tired with anime now. I got into Naruto and Bleach but its starting to get old for me.

I got into Death Note when it first came out, a real life associate of my put me on to it. I was pretty intrigued with the plot but I felt the creators of the show/manga could have done things much better. People are probably better off just watching Fight Club; or if your more into the being forced to choose sides part of the story, the new Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society dvd. You pretty much get the same experience with out having to sit through all the annoying anime melodrama, monologues, and other negatives from anime such as bad dubbing or having to read your video. I thought there where times when the episodes in Death Note dragged a bit and I felt the ending was a bit rushed and uninspired. Death Note is definitely worth a look into for anyone looking for anime that doesn't have swords or robots or isn't too heavy on the magical jip-jap weeaboo crap. But I think most of us have already seen films or read books that accomplish what Death Note does in a much successful manner.

I'm kinda interested in the Highlander Anime.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

I AM THE HIGHLANDER!

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post
Knightsword
post Aug 11 2007, 03:30 AM
Post #7

Mistress of Red Magic

Group: Arbiter Caste
Member No.: 53

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

+Quote Post
Wiryu
post Aug 11 2007, 04:16 AM
Post #8

This is my custom member title.

Member No.: 121

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcpPmAP9Tg

coolest song ever. Technically this is courtesy of Kari since it was thorugh her discovery that i saw this.

+Quote Post
AC9breaker
post Aug 13 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #9

Soul Hunter

Member No.: 23

QUOTE(Wiryu @ Aug 11 2007, 06:16 AM) *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcpPmAP9Tg

coolest song ever. Technically this is courtesy of Kari since it was thorugh her discovery that i saw this.

HELL YEAH MAN. I love that episode, and its all on the first DVD. The version of the song you hera in that video, Cyberbird differes from its original version it much higher pitched and has a faster tempo but the original still sounds just as good. Its worth it to get all the Ghost in The Shell soundtracks in my opinion. Pretty solid stuff.

Here is my favorite episode/song combination from the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyx4sEUZHxU

--------------------
"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

--an Excerpt from a Night Lords Novel Void Stalkers Chapter X: Revenge

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:14 AM