IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

August: Month of downloadable games, XBLA, PSN, get those funbucks out.
Crushinator
post Aug 9 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Holding these random memories

Group: Magister
Member No.: 8

Although August is a pretty slow month on the retail side of gaming (outside of Madden 09), the downloadable games are exploding this month. Sometimes its easy to miss them since they may not get as much big headline promotion, but there are asome serious "must plays" for August on the download scene.

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 (XBLA; 800 points) Already out

Followup to the original XBLA classic, its pretty much twitch gaming perfection. GeoWars2 brings 5 new modes to the table, including the brilliant "Pacifist" mode, where you see how big of a score you can get by not fighting. The thing I love most about GW2 though, is the immediate notification of your scoreboard standings. As soon as you start the game it shows the leaderboard for every game mode, so you can see just where all your friends are in relation to you. It really revives that old arcade "oh hell naw that guys initials are above mine?" feeling. You almost can't leave the game without busting up at least SOMEONE's high score. Of course just like GW1, the presentation and music are top tier, and the new multiplayer modes are a cool addition, but unfortunately are local multiplayer only.

Pixeljunk: Eden (PSN; $9.99) Already out

Latest from Q-games PixelJunk series, this is the ultimate chill-out game. The basic premise is you are this bug with a little line of silk to swing on, going around gathering pollen to make plants grow so you can reach the goal point. There are time limits on each stage which keep the action moving, and the physics of the swinging/jumping movement are lots of fun to control. Visually it has this really cool simple high contrast style, and the music is simply fantastic.

Braid (XBLA; 1200 Points) Already out

The video can't really show how amazing this game is... you just need to play it. Its a puzzle-platformer where your character can control time, and at the same time its a fantastic art-gaming piece with hauntingly beautiful painted backdrops, smooth animation, and a stirring soundtrack. All I can say is play the demo, and when you reach the end of the first world you will immediately press the "buy now" button. I can't stress how fucking awesome this game is.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed (XBLA, PSN, PC; 800 points, $10, $15) 8-13-08

I'm sure everyone knows about this game, but its out this week! For the uninitiated, its a full remake of the NES version of Bionic Commando with a shitload of new stuff thrown in. New moves, weapons, challenge stages, remixed music, and 2 player local co-op! At only $10 for the console versions this much gameplay is a freakin' STEAL. Check out the behind the scenes videos on gametrailers to get a good feel for how the guys at Grin are really putting a lot of love into BC:R.

Galaga Legions (XBLA, 800 points) 8-20-08

In the same fashion as Pac-Man C.E., Namco Bandai is releasing a true sequel to Galaga. The neon-infused 80's style looks great with the intense wave after wave of space bugs to blast.

Ratched & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
(PSN, TBA) 8-21-08

This is a cool change of pace, instead of a full-fledged followup to R&CF, they are doing this kinda mini-sequel, and making it downloadable and "at a lower price point" than retail, which could mean anything less than $60 I guess, haha.

--------------------

Steam: MrCrushin PSN : MrCrushin XBL: Mr Crushin
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 11:43 AM